Michael Green Audio Forum

http://tuneland.techno-zone.net

Our Website  HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Bob's System

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Bob's System   Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:13 pm

I'd like to welcome "what about Bob" to the forum.

Bob is the latest addition to the tune. Over the last couple of months we have been working together on wood and he has taken his first tuning visit with me last weekend to Chicago. Bob's learning curve is a fast one seeing that he is in the middle of the tune every day now. The trip was his first high end audio gathering of the minds but he is no stranger to stereo coming from a Klipsch Carver back ground.

One thing that I have already picked up from his listening preferences is that he likes width to his stage which puts him in my camp. He and I both like the sound going way past the edges. I have noticed that he is also a bass man and loves rhythm and pace to his music.

Last edited by Michael Green on Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
what about bob

PostSubject: Re: Bob's System   Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:57 pm

Greetings from the shop.

Let me start off by saying I have been a music lover all my life, both live and recorded. I grew up in Chicago and learned to read music at a young age where I took up playing the instruments my parents brought home for me. I think they knew I was going to crank up the sound even at that age so the instruments I played were not the typical drums and electric guitar.

One of my first setups was Koss. Remember those heavy all wood speakers? I also used the Koss headphones. Later I became a Carver Klipsch guy. I like dynamics to my music and there has to be a lot of kick to get me into it. I enjoy hearing all the little parts and pieces to the sound so when I ran into this crazy guy "MG" I was looking forward to sitting down at one of his systems. I remembered him from ads in the stores back home. Oh, I should tell you I have lived in Vegas now for a while (don't miss the Chicago weather at all Laughing ). So I get to this guys house and cheers I'm still here. The soundstage was huge. I'm a big Floyd fan so when I heard the clocks coming from all over the room I knew this was going to be the way I wanted to listen from then on.

In my listening room I have the mini mods & stands, Equipment platforms, Bare Essence, Picasso, RoomTune, DecoTune, Pioneer 3400, Magnavox 2100 and it rocks Exclamation

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Bob's System   Fri May 25, 2012 4:55 pm

Visiting Bob's room is quite the treat. When you walk in the first thing that you notice is the cool setting of the way the place feels. Pictures (at least when I take them) don't do it justice. He has his place set up with a nice ceiling light on a dimmer that gives a comfortable glow. It's got the music Vibe for sure and being a big floyd fan he tells me that not only is the DecoTune Floyd-ed out but later there are going to be some other cool painting surprises coming up.

Concrete block Exclamation Question This can not sound good right Question These hard walls give off an energy splatter that is usually unbearable and you end up making compromises in the area of materials according to the tune. And this was the case in Bob's room until he unlocked the door. I sat down and said "what" Question Where's the concrete? Bob has studied his area well and after tuning it is a shock to hear what he has come up with. When he put on "amused to death" (one of my references) I was expecting to make my quick listen and start in on what needs to be done. I ended up listening to the whole CD and wanted more. The Mini Mods have completely disappeared into the room without a hint of speaker. The mod stands (over sized for the studio 5's) did not even have spikes on them and I could not tell the speakers were on stands.

Bob like's width to his stage. He feels that a sound stage is all about going past the speakers as if they were not there. Making the room balance out took some ingenuity or luck (he would say). First he got to know every inch of the room by using the tunes to guide him to where they wanted to be placed. He said when the magic locked in you could hear the stage fall into place. A huge help to making the walls disappear though besides the controlling of the tunes was when he put the Bamboo rug on the front wall.

At first it was ok but then he started to notice the rug start to curl just a little, making it curve about 2" off the wall in the center. When this happen it became a controller of sorts and the room took on this flavor of warmth and musicallity.

Part of what I enjoy though is the tonality of the Mini Mods and their lack of stress. Bob was in the past a horn man but when he moved to the Mini the sound of horns became very clear. When I hear back from folks who listen to my speakers I usually hear the same story. They at first like them then go back to their high end sound then after a while return to the non-speaker sound of the tunable speaker. I have said for years that if you don't have a speaker designed and built like an instrument you will end up building your system around the speaker and not around the acoustics.

Back to top Go down
what about bob

PostSubject: Re: Bob's System   Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:54 pm

Learning about space has been one of the greatest experiences for me. Michael visited a sat there shocked, good for him. He needs to stay on his toes. He told me I had achieved multi-layering, tonal balance and great width. I'm not up on all the terms yet, but I take it that is a good thing. Basically, I played with the tweaks till things fell in place. One thing that I have noticed is every inch of this room makes a difference to the sound.
Back to top Go down
what about bob

PostSubject: Re: Bob's System   Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:01 pm

Michael has been voicing wood for speakers the last couple of weeks. It is shocking Shocked to see and hear how it changes sound through the process. He listens for harmonics when he is voicing. You might think a piece of wood sounds good till you hear it with the harmonics sounding off. It's like the difference between a piece of meat and a cow moving around in front of you. He hates when something doesn't sound full range and full of balanced energy. One thing I have to agree with him on now that I have heard it, good is not good enough.

love my mini mods

the first full range monitor I have ever heard
Back to top Go down
beetlejuice

PostSubject: Re: Bob's System   Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:26 am

Bob, thanks for letting me hear your stereo today. These are crazy stereos you guys are doing. Looking forward to reading.

beetlebug
Back to top Go down
what about bob

PostSubject: Size doesnt matter   Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:42 pm

These minis are something you have to hear and you still wont believe the total richness and clearity. You dont hear anything comming directly from the speakers and if you were blindfolded you would swear they were a much bigger cabinet sounding speaker.definately the best bang for your buck. Bar none. Until next time. Ive got george thorogood cued up and ready to go.
Back to top Go down
beetlejuice

PostSubject: Re: Bob's System   Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:11 pm

MG, here's some pics of Bob's room to show the art work he is doing. With the lighting it is a lot cooler but you get the idea. Looking forward to doing some listening to the new stands this weekend. Ruge said their pretty great sounding.

Back to top Go down
froggy

PostSubject: Re: Bob's System   Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:51 pm

Ruge,

Your system has come a long way since the last time I saw it. Hope I can get into town to take a listen next week.

see ya

like the pic
Back to top Go down
froggy

PostSubject: Re: Bob's System   Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:44 pm

Good seeing you at MG's.
Back to top Go down
what about bob

PostSubject: Re: Bob's System   Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:52 pm

Hey froggy

Thought I saw you on-line. Taking a short break and wanted to come home and listen to the new positioning of my SAM. Maybe MG will put up some pictures soon so people can see what's going on here. Also I have the new DecoTunes going in. They are great. So different from the old style.
Back to top Go down
froggy

PostSubject: Re: Bob's System   Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:09 pm

Were those the blue ones I saw? Pretty hot looking, a good move. They look like a serious tweak now and a lot more artistic IMO. The poplar wood makes the art jump and when I picked it up they felt nice and solid. MG had me talk in to both sides, HUGE DIF!
Back to top Go down
what about bob

PostSubject: Re: Bob's System   Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:06 am

Hey frog

I have some of the new ones in place and more on the way as soon as MG gets done with some pictures.

I had a tunee-fest today and MG stopped by. MG always gets this look on his face when he likes something. It's like his own seal of approval. I've been voicing wood with him to get bass in systems to drop even lower. Is there no limit Laughing
Back to top Go down
what about bob

PostSubject: Re: Bob's System   Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:13 am

I have enjoyed listening to the SAM in my room. I have had it in back and in front of me and can say this is an energy magnet. Dramatic changes took place that are almost so big that they are hard to describe. The SAM allows you to make the room sound big or small by where it is placed or where you are sitting in relationship to it. I would say this is probably a must for a bigger room, but was surprised at how well it did in my small room. Saying this though I want to see what all the other products do in here since I can have what I want from the MGA arsenal.

After removing the SAM I have been playing with the new DecoTune FS and hearing a distinctive difference between the old models and the new ones. The spikes do make quite a difference for one and there is more sound of wood tones going on. They also grab more sound waves than they did before making moving adjustments more direct and decisive if I can use that as a description.

Not only do they sound impressive but they look impressive. When you use these you can feel the sound being shaped and that for me is a good thing cause I love my wide soundstage. When something in my system goes side to side it really goes out there. There is no stopping at the speakers. Speakers on their own hardly ever will do this (I've never heard it) and tuning the room makes you understand how the room and the speakers are really a part of each other. I say to MG all the time "I don't get these straight line people". It's so obvious that waves form pressure. Anyone who spends time tuning a part of the wall and play with placement can hear the pressure as it is changing.

It's all there to be tuned in we just have to follow the plan of opening up the flow, find where it opened up to and then dial it in. Once you get close to it being dialed in the sound explodes in size. It even feels like a recording when this happens. Before it does you feel like you are hearing music but when you tune the production comes to life all around you.

I'm into production as you can tell. Pink Floyd/Roger Waters rules in my book. His music is a great template to tune by along with Dire Straights and many other theatrical bands, but Roger is at the top of the list because of the way he makes every inch of his soundstage count. There is always something to follow around the room with his style of engineering.
Back to top Go down

Bob's System
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1