Michael Green Audio Forum

http://tuneland.techno-zone.net

Our Website  HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Testing 102 proto - daboa from the Gekko

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
garp

PostSubject: Testing 102 proto - daboa from the Gekko   Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:39 am

Michael,

This older CD is amazing for finding what your system and room can do. Here is a review which pretty much nails why I use this album to see how my room/system synergy is working:

Where to begin with this audiophile gem? First, it defies all rigid categorization, blending soaring and liquid vocals with a heady mix of Baroque, jazz, flamenco, rap and laughter. The sonics of this recording are as resplendent as the jungle of sounds that it emerges from, rewarding the listener with gorgeous sonic surprises, like spotting a fleetingly rare scarlet macaw in flight. This gem will really test your system’s ability to deliver musical nuances, low-level details and a soundstage as broad as your listening space will allow. How well can your system reproduce the sounds of a flowing river and then the shimmering highs of a gamelon or the crack of maracas? Feed it this disc and be immersed in a lush landscape of color and sound from whose undergrowth it is very difficult to emerge-got a machete?

Daboa consists of vocalist Maria Marquez and her creative partner, vocalist and multi-instrumentalist Frank Harris, who wrap their sinuous and beautiful melodies around intricate vocals, chants and calls, supplied by other musicians and pre-recorded sounds and voices. The disc commences with what may be the deepest crunch of sheer bass you may encounter, simulating the giant mortars called “Pilones” used by women in the central coast of Venezuela to mash corn. Canton Del Pilon continues into a swirl of delicate layers of sound, including a background of laughing children and a rooster crowing from the deep soundstage. Low level detail and nuances are to be mined from every corner of the musical event portrayed. The richness of this musical journey continues in “Bein’ Green,” a radical departure from the versions performed by Ray Charles and Van Morrison, where layers of recordings of the Surui Indians of Brazil are juxtaposed with the liquid vocals of Marquez, soprano sax and delicate rainforest sounds. The version is both a somber and beautiful rendition, conveying the sense of renewal as well as primordial loss: the linear notes indicate that the chant of the Surui in this song were originally created as a chant welcoming the first white persons they encountered. From its closing thunder clap, we move to the unique, shimmering sounds of the gamelon in Jakarta. All at once, we are transported to a musical landscape of uplifting delicate harmonies, plunging in the next musical phrase to the depths that the unique gamelon can render. This shimmer and deep plunge will test every ounce of your system’s ability to get the tone color of the gamelon right, leaning forth to comprehend the complexity of this unique sound-producing body. In Campesina, water first flows forth from the wide soundstage, joined by delicate percussion, vocals and animal sounds. This piece unveils wonderful sonic surprises and delicate detail, revealed to the listener in perfect time and pace. One should not hurry here, but linger in the wealth of enveloping colors and let the surprises of musical intent and detail emerge with time and repeated listens. The piece ends with what seems to be a creak as an old door closes and silence prevails. The last number, Don’t Be Late, melds the sounds of steel drums, multiple vocals and layers of percussion in nimble musical lines. Speed and dynamics are put to the test as the melody builds and then is scattered to the winds and is gone, just like that fleeting scarlet macaw. Treasure this gem and revisit it often.
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Testing 102 proto - daboa from the Gekko   Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:05 am

Thanks GARP

Went and sampled it on Amazon. If my local store doesn't have it, I'll place my order.

very nice, thanks!

Back to top Go down
http://tuneland.techno-zone.net
Robert Harrison

PostSubject: Re: Testing 102 proto - daboa from the Gekko   Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:28 pm

Hey, garp,

I second that. Sounds like a must have, mixing music with sound effects. I love that sort of thing, being a fan of Mars Lasar, Enigma and Deep Forest.

But, aside from the music, I take it you are saying that the speakers are fantastic, right?
Back to top Go down
garp

PostSubject: Proto 102   Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:31 pm

Robert,

I have not heard Michael's new speakers, but I do own his music ply 60s and 5s, and sub which were used in a 4.1 home theater years ago. Since I listen to music much more than watch movies, these speakers have collected dust outside my listening room. Today, my single ended tube amps do not have enough juice to do the MGD speakers justice, but they work fine with my 96 DB wooden cabinet, paper cone speakers.

My 14 pound integrated 4 watts per channel can reach 100 plus DB at times in my tuned listening room. Like Sonic, i listen at more reasonable levels in the mid 70s to low 80s range. I use a radio shack sound meter from time to time as I make adjustments in my room.

Michael has visited my home in the past and got me into tuning when he lived in Nashville. I have also visited him in Vegas a few years ago when CES was running. Who knows, I may visit Vegas again for CES in 2013 and audition the new line of speakers.
Back to top Go down
Robert Harrison

PostSubject: Re: Testing 102 proto - daboa from the Gekko   Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:23 am

Hey, garp,

The phrase "TESTING 102 PROTO" is what made me think you had a pair.

Anyhoo, I ordered a used copy of "Gekko" from an Amazon dealer for $11. New ones went for $31 unless you ordered from another place called CD Baby (for $17), but they listed the title as OUT OF STOCK so who knows when they would fill that order. There are MP3 downloads available, but I figure they would be of insufficient quality.
Back to top Go down
garp

PostSubject: The Gladiator   Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:11 pm

Robert,

If you like moivie sound tracks, get a copy of The Gladiator. For me, it really captures the emotion of the movie, but it will all test the bass response of your system as well as soundstage depth and dynamics. I pulled this out and listened at one of my very early work at home sessions this past week, and I forgot how good it was.
Back to top Go down

Testing 102 proto - daboa from the Gekko
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1