Michael Green Audio Forum

http://tuneland.techno-zone.net

Our Website  HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Ceiling Echo

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
apogee6

PostSubject: Ceiling Echo   Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:05 am

Hi Michael,

I FINALLY am getting around to finding the celing echo that I've had for some time now that seems to originate in the area surrounding the light fixture in the room. After finally remembering how to "hard clap" to find the zone(s) where the echo(s) are found I have need to ask how to approach taming it (them) and wonder about the following 3 options;
I measured where the 2 echoes are and they are approx. 46" apart on a disecting plane and wonder might be the best choice of action to under take?

1). 2-Square Tunes 1 placed in each zone

2). 1-Echo Tunes placed in between the 2 zones

3). 1-Tune Strip that would cover the enire area between the 2 zones

Now the additional question comes into play would I be over damping? The zones are located 1 approx. (by my estimates) 36" @ approx 85 degree angle in front of my listening chair (which would be the back draped wall). The 2nd zone is again approx 36" from the front wall very near the room's center. IF I were using 1 Tuning Strip the angles between them would be approx.90 degrees.
I realize I might be getting way over techinal but.. with out your ability to see where I taking of I'm trying to provide as much possibile info as I can for you to formulate a suggestion for me to pursue. I've said this before and I can't say it enough, Room Tuning has not only saved me Thousands in equipment changes but has so highly increased my listening enjoyment and I can't thank you enough for your passion in pursuing this. Forever in fourms I endorse vibration contorl and room tuning as cost effective ways to make HUGE DIFFERENCES
Thank you in advance for your help, please don't ever stop in your pursuit to help the audio community.

Ray
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Ceiling Echo   Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:04 pm

Back to top Go down
apogee6

PostSubject: added ifo   Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:58 am

Michael,

I couldn't find the techno-zone link so I'm responding here.and helping with more info for you.
What an excellent listing of tuning from Sonic! I can provide a better insight as to what I'm chasing after for you now. My room seems to be fairly damped as I have carpet down and the rear wall also has some fairly heavy drapes. Actually it is really our living room that is pretty much my dedicated listening room and used as just that alone. the room is not large measures approx. 17'9' on the front wall w/an opening of 5' 8" (leading into the kictchen). The witdht is 11' 10", On the Right back corner there is a CD Cabinent (made of Oak w/glass doors 24" from the right inside back corner and extends 8" from the side wall) 14' down the back wall (curtians hiding a picture window) is a built in book case that extends 5' into the room and has shelfs that extend up to the ceiling, with an 8' ceiling. The room is constructed using dry wall as was the ceiling when the house was built in 1964 and below the carpet floor is hardwood.
On the front wall my Sanus Euro Rack is located 53" from the door opening to the kitcken The left speaker is approx 6'5" from the side wall but that crosses inside where the kitchen opening is. the right speaker is 36.5" from the wall and HAS A CORNER BEHIND IT (where as the left speaker does not). Now my listening chair is located 6' from the front wall in front of the equip. rack. I have 4 Corner Tunes up and I have created a corner for the left speaker using;
1 64" Room Tune Stander and 1 48" Room Tune Stander creating a corner (and angled) behind the left speaker. In the right corner behind the speaker I have 1 60" Floor Stander Now flanking the listening chair are 2 48" Floor Standers The right one is 32.5" from the side wall and 24" from the back wall. The left is 34" from the book case (which is loaded with books and magazines) and also 24" from the back wall. (I can send photos of the room if it would be more helpful, just say so).
The equipmet is as follows: Top of rack has an ARC CD 3 Mk 2 sitting on Bright Star Air Mass/ Big Rock with 2 2lb brass dampers from Eden Sound and connected to the intgreted using Balanced SX ICs from Grover Huffman and a power cord (Pole Star) from Locus Designs plugged into an Oyaide out let w/ PS Audio Noise Harvester, next shelf has a Classe CAP 151 integrated amp sitting on a Bright Star Big Rock, power cord from Cryo Parts plugged into an Oyaide outlet w/ PS Audio Noise Harvester. Speakers are Apogee Slant 6s using bi-wire from Grover Huffman, all cords and speaker cables are elevated using Cable Elevators (11 in total) 3rd shelf has a Yamaha AX900U (not in use) and the base shelf has a box from Digital Designs with the 2 remotes the air pump (for the Air Mass) and The Marigo CD Damper (which I use everytime I listen to a CD). NOW an iintangable to add ....across 3 walls (Front, and Sides) are 20 (different sized) mounted fresh water fish.

So, what I'm trying (further) to acheive is to widen the sound stage, and (further) deepen the layering as well. My musical tastes are: Mostly rock (both hard and soft), Blues, New Wave & Jazz. Since I have always been aware of that "echo" from the ceiling hence my pursuit (finally) of trying to tame and or diffuse it since the Room TUnes have done such an absolute amazing job in my room, so much so that if even if 1 is so much as 1/16" from where I have them marked (with tape) that I can hear the difference. I would tend to agree that my room probably is quite damped now that you help point that out to me from Sonic's chart, but I'm also trying to extract even more more detail (and micro dynamics) from my system thru tuning in my existing room (there is very little I can change in it). Is chasing the ceiling echo going over board?
Did I provide you TIM Question (I know that I still forgot some details). I try to be as absolutely cost effeective as I can getting as maxium return for results as possibile, any help is very welcome, again I hope I haven't over whelmed you with info.

Ray
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Ceiling Echo   Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:04 am

Hi Ray

If you click on this link http://tuneland.techno-zone.net/t49-what-a-change#2435 it will take you right there. Or if you go to your thread "What a change" it's all there. Either way we will get all the posts together my friend. Just pick which one is the most comfortable and I'll copy and paste to that thread and we'll make it your main system thread.

Oh, and yes pics are a great thing!

Back to top Go down

Ceiling Echo
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1