Michael Green Audio Forum

http://tuneland.techno-zone.net

Our Website  HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

The best part

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: The best part   Fri May 31, 2013 6:30 am

What do you like the best about your system?

What does it do special that you don't hear in others?

Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

PostSubject: Re: The best part   Fri May 31, 2013 12:10 pm

Sonic thinks my system is far from anything good. I have to accept there are many flaws. While I enjoy musick through it - tonight I heard Ton Koopman playing the Fitzwilliam Virginal Booke and the Oscar Peterson Trio playing the Gershwin Songbook - there is much fine musick.

What impresses visitors is they think the sound is coming from speakers in the centre FS-DRTs and the corner FS-PZCs, it is with surprise that they find the two big panels near them are the speakers.

Sonic likes my SP analog system too where for all the limited frequency bandwidth and noise and mono repro, it sounds more real than digital. Also how the mono images have a kind of soundstage and the way the music iis all around me, a huge sound that is unlike what people expect mono to sound like.
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The best part   Fri May 31, 2013 3:47 pm

Laughing It is a trip to watch them looking at these speakers all over the place. You tell them they are acoustical products and they say "what?". Or they will sit there and keep looking over at the speakers and trying to tell if they are on. I've had them get up and walk over to the speaker and put their ear to it. "Oh, I didn't think these were playing", "I thought the ones in the front of the room were making all the sound".

Back to top Go down
tune trainee

PostSubject: Re: The best part   Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:05 am

Hi there everyone
This topic brings so many things to mind.
I enjoy the fact that my system is always improving without the disappointment of spending more and more just to find you gained something but lost something else.

I love the fact that I can listen to music on my system and not feeling the need to buy something I can not afford just to improve or even hope to improve the sound to the next level.

I have a mentor or even several of you who have been there and done that. I am like a train with tracks to keep me heading in the right direction. If a person were to go into every high end audio store in town, each sales person would have his or her own way to steer you into this or that and be so sure of themselves but push you the wrong way.
Not once have I spent any length of time at a high end retailer and have them teach me something that I know to be incorrect or completely wrong.

Last but not least, hearing your system tune itself once you have it balanced or setup well enough can only be compared to magic? Sorta like getting in your car and you start it up then it drives you to work....

One more thing
How many of you have had an audio retailer tell you that a piece they have listened too gets blown away by a piece much cheaper, only to later explain to you that you have to spend more money to get better sound?

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The best part   Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:53 am

The audio salesman upsell Laughing . It's what made me end up only carrying most of the manufactures least expensive products. Their best sounding product was almost always their cheapest or should I say their most basic one. And when the MA 700 came out it was pretty much over cause no matter what I brought in on the higher end it got beat up. I loved being a dealer but wanted to do it to turn people on to the company's best and very rarely did that scale go up I noticed. Especially after the mid 80's.

As a high end dealer there were several times I tried to do the personal taste thing and carry stuff that covered the whole range (not money but taste), and in the 80's that was cool cause there really was some good starter high end, but I can remember being in Nashville (years later) and stripping down MA 700's and saying what's the use. The last dealer purchase I made was when I heard this amp was going out of production and I bought as many as I could find, even had them sent in from other dealers who couldn't move them.

The MA 700 was actually a ultra high end Philips design that didn't fly and so they turned it into their AV amp. The story I heard was that it was originally going to come out in a different chassis and configuration and get put up against the bigger Krells and such, but the company at that time couldn't gain momentum as a serious high end competitor. Not many would buy Marantz because it fell from listening grace when it spent a couple of years trying to find themselves. I carried their mid Fi in the early 80's and it was nothing to brag about. I carried some aweful lines in my earlist store Laughing , but it only took me a year to start learning the biz. And a really good listener helped me learn Phil Decote'. Think I was 22 or 23 years old. He turned me onto AR tables with Rotel integrated's, with his speakers. That was the beginning.

Back to top Go down

The best part
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1