Michael Green Audio Forum

http://tuneland.techno-zone.net

Our Website  HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

DON'T kill the sound!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: DON'T kill the sound!   Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:05 pm

Hi Listeners

I'm so use to being on TuneLand that I forget that there is listening going on outside of the tune. Lately though I've been going on other audio sites (pro and home) and I'm a little  affraid  (that means shocked) to see that people are still killing their rooms hoping to get good sound. I guess I have to say first of all WOW Exclamation 

If you are taking the dead approach to acoustical treatment take a look at this thread.

Think about what you are doing.

When you direct dampen, foam, drapes, carpet, cloth furniture, acoustical products with heavy cloth your are dulling out, removing, distorting the audio signal. Just think about it for a second. How would you think that something that sucks up the sound in your room is not also sucking up the sound coming out of your speakers? Of course it is.

below a beautiful pair of speakers that you at best can hear a third of because of the dampened room conditions

Anybody who is sitting there right now listening to a room/speaker set up that is using one of the things I mentioned above might want to take a close listen to the sound. It's very likely the reason you are having the problems you are is because you are out of tune (balance) acoustically. If you are burning the acoustical energy in your room without there being a barrier between you and the material that is burning the sound you are almost always losing part of the audio signal being produced. There is no way around this, and it's a matter of how much content you wish to sacrifice.

The audio industry may have misinformed you in the past by painting the wrong picture of how your speakers produce soundwaves and maybe this is part of the problem.

let me correct this

I know  Idea  It makes you wonder why did they paint such an inaccurate picture of soundwaves. What's worst is they built a whole theory system based on this incorrect info and sold it to the listener. We all know that soundwaves are spherical and not straight lines. With all these straight lines they created a ton of info on reflections that if you look at the drawing above you will realize can't be accurate. Sound just doesn't work that way. So if your looking at all your rooms reflection points to fix the sound your going to find out sooner or later that this is not what is going on in the room at all.

The good news is, your room and stereo speakers together can make a beautiful music picture called the soundstage.

You may not know this but everything that is in the live room making sound you should be able to hear if within the microphone pattern and range, including the size of the room. The job of the speakers and the room is to recreate a 3 dimensional landscape of what was put in the recording.

So how big is a soundstage?

A lot of times when you are listening you see a soundstage picture in front of you that seems a certain size, but when you think about a recording itself isn't it much bigger than what I am hearing between my speakers? And shouldn't the sound be all around me instead of just in front? The answer is yes on both counts. If you put on a set of headphones you would hear music all around you and of course the sound goes far beyond the speakers placement. The same thing is true with your room. If your limited to sound only as wide as the speakers and a little space behind the speakers you are shutting down the speaker to room interface, and stopping the room from playing it's role as the natural space amplifier that it is.

Your amplifier is the first of three amplifiers in the chain. Amp, speakers and room.

It's a big mistake not to think of your room as an amplifier. The sound pressure in the room is what you hear. And if you look at the pattern of sound you can cleary see that it's natural for the sound waves to amplify.

You see it's very important when tuning in the sound of your room that you are picturing the soundwaves like above and not below.

Sound is round and when bent out of shape is looking to get round (spherical) again. Spherical is the natural shape of energy. It's a huge problem if you treat your room as if the sound is straight lines and you are treating reflections.  For one those reflections are not even there, and secondly you are not hearing reflections, but stimulated sound pressure created by the sound waves of origin and all the surfaces in the room.

Almost seems shocking doesn't it, hearing someone in audio say you are not hearing straight line reflections after all the diagrams published by acoustical companies? But look at this above picture again and ask, what is keeping those arrows of different size lines that shape? Truth is your sound waves do not collectively gather in this fasion and then travel through the air as if the forces of nature and energy did not exist. Soundwaves along with any other form of energy has to obey physics.

Last edited by Michael Green on Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: DON'T kill the sound!   Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:35 am

Hi Listeners

In the last post I talked about soundwaves not being straight lines but spheres. If you can grab onto this you are going to understand what your room is doing and how you need to make everything in the room that is part of the sound in tune with the original signal. Your room being the biggest amplifier of the sound will either sound intune, allowing the siganl to grow and build dynamics and harmonic structures, or it will fall into distortion, losing some of the music content, sound dull, without life and out of tune.

As I began tuning my rooms using typical acoustical products I started to hear the original signal become off (distorted). I thought it was me at first but the more I listened and did the experiements with others it was clear that many acoustical treatments were not helping the sound at all but were actual causing distortion. I would listen then put the product in the room and even though I would hear some things get tighter or more full I would also hear in exchange something missing. It was clearly a case of trading one thing off for another. I struggled with this in every room I did until I saw what was going on. Because I was dampening the soundwaves in a direct pattern I was burning music content while decreasing the acoustical volume of the room. In plain english, I was robbing my speakers and my ears of the entire frequency range and distroying the musical notes by unevenly burning them, and burning them in the direct exposure of my ears.

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: DON'T kill the sound!   Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:05 pm

A question was raised to me about diffusion.

As you know I like the oraganizing of energy and not the distorting of it.

In this particular case I think it's a good idea to look at what diffusion is according to Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffusion

In the audiophile world many myths have been created, the good of acoustical difussion is one of them. First off they could have used a better word cause as you have just read diffusion refers more of spreading out, and the way acoustical companies are doing "their" form of diffusion is to make waves disembodied. The audiophile world talks about killing waves or causing them to break up. Where does this help the sound? The idea of an acoustical space is to support the sound pressure not distroy it.

take a look

Above you see audiophile diffusion in action. How are the waves shaped? Spherical. What happens to the waves when they hit the wall?

this times a couple hundred

the uniformity is lost

Above you can see the fight going on between the space and the speakers. This is acoustical distortion. What should be happening is the room helping the music to project by developing an organized support system that the listener can control the dimentions of. Below is the begining of acoustical organizing.

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: DON'T kill the sound!   Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:56 pm

Music is all about building support systems with structure and harmonic developement. When the industry does things to stop this developement they move further away from being able to recreate the audio signal. You don't see many dead cellos so why would you want to play dead speakers or dead rooms.

I've seen some masterful writing on acoustic theory from many acoustical companies, only one thing wrong. Their using their brain power to kill something they should be bringing to life. Music has always been about vibration and so has the instruments, audio signal pathway, acoustical space and the ear. If you look up my historical articles on the audio industry I point out how it began and developed. I also show how things changed because of marketing and moved away from the sound base it started on. Numbers were introduced in such a way that it convinced the reader without ever having listening proof. The industry moved away from tuning instead of improving the method of tuning. As a result the playback part of the audio chain has suffered, and the support system that makes music work has turn into audio myths that have dug deep. Sound has always been the cooperation of vibration and waves up until this new movement of distorting the signal as a way to restore it. This of course has never work but the part of the industry that pushes this is determined to drive this machine till it runs out of gas.

RoomTune is against the idea of killing sound and works on developing ways to control rather than distort. Distorting should be left in the studio as an effect and should not be a part of the audio playback. It's simple math really. Use liked support systems to build volume. This is the formula for distortion free increase.

Look again at the diffusion link and see how it should be meant for organizing and not breaking apart. There's a big difference between random scattering and uniform distribution. With cycles the size of sound waves even distribution is the means to equal gain, and that's the goal of amplifying.

Back to top Go down

DON'T kill the sound!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1