Michael Green Audio Forum

http://tuneland.techno-zone.net

Our Website  HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

tmsorosk's system

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: tmsorosk's system   Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:42 am

Hi Tim

Just thought I would give this a bump incase you wanted to give your playlist.

Back to top Go down
tmsorosk

PostSubject: We all think differently but do we all hear the same ?   Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:36 am

What provoked this question you may ask ?
Over the holidays several groups of friends from are audio club came over to listen to music and chat about audio. These chaps and gal usually come over in groups of 3 or 4 as there are just to many to come at once. We rarely agree on the topics we choose to discuss, we all seem to think we know what is right, rarely agreeing on a single topic. But it's interesting when we sit quietly and listen we all seem to agree on what we are hearing. Each has his or her perception of whats best or preferred but the changes we might make to a system while listening are all perceived the same by nearly everyone.
Maybe we should do less talking and more listening as talking only makes it to are ears, music gets to are souls.

Thanks for reading - Tim
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: tmsorosk's system   Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:34 pm

Hi Tim

I enjoy TuneLand, actually I love TuneLand, and couldn't imagine TuneLand without my listening rooms around me. There's nothing like the sound of music pulling you toward the seat.

What I like about your system most of all, is that you have several of them. Even though you are not variably tuning them to the degree some of us do here, you are able to go system to system and hear the difference between the different systems and how they react to the recording differently.

About the difference between listeners and their thoughts about audio, I don't really pay that much attention. I just stay focused on making systems that will do anything and go anywhere the listener wants to go. And if I can add to their experience in some way through what I have learned, that's a plus. The differences will always be there as we are all different.

When a tunee comes to my place, one of the things I enjoy watching (if they know what they're doing) is watching them tune and seeing where they went with the system. Like Herns for example. He's very busy traveling but when he stops by he does magic, and I can easily fall into his listening word. Even if it's a different tune than I would do, just being able to hear the same music through his ears is very exciting for me. The same thing happens with Harold. I could sit there and listen to his views on music from a guy who plays guitar, and tune things from that view point all day long.

It's cool if they want to listen to my setup, but it's really cool watching them tune in their sound and listening to that same piece through their vision.

good to see you Smile , and tell your friends they are more than welcome

Might be fun for you guys to be able to have a place to hang out when you aren't visiting each other.

Back to top Go down
tmsorosk

PostSubject: Re: tmsorosk's system   Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:27 pm

Not sure if this will make it, this was a past system i had, check out the home made sub and spikes, lol.

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: tmsorosk's system   Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:58 am

Hi Tim

I resized your pic.

Pretty trip-y. Kinda retro-mod cool, was it down firing?

Yep those are some serious spikes.

Cool

Back to top Go down
tmsorosk

PostSubject: Re: tmsorosk's system   Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:50 am

Thanks for the resize Michael, at least I can post a pic without your help now.
Yup, it was 18" of down firing richness that you just don't get from smaller subs.
Here's another past system, viewed from the mechanical room, simplicity at it's finest. lol

Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

PostSubject: Re: tmsorosk's system   Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:52 am

Hi Tim!

What were those spikes made of? Surreal the whole thing looks.

What crossover point did you use between the main speakers and the sub?

Did you ever find a difference in speed between the 18 inch sub and the main speakers...wait....Sonic sees something -- are there side firing woofers at the inner sides of the speakers?

Sonic

Back to top Go down
tmsorosk

PostSubject: Re: tmsorosk's system   Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:31 am

Sonic.beaver wrote:

Hi Tim!

What were those spikes made of?  Surreal the whole thing looks.

What crossover point did you use between the main speakers and the sub?

Did you ever find a difference in speed between the 18 inch sub and the main speakers...wait....Sonic sees something -- are there side firing woofers at the inner sides of the speakers?

Sonic

The spikes were made from steel ( cold roll ) that I had machined to a point, the machinist thought I was nuts.
For a while I used a Paradigm X850 crossover/amp, at one point I used a Paradigm X30 electronic crossover. In that mode I tried many different amps including bridging a Mark Levinson #332. The sub weighed 300 pounds and the 18" driver did work very well with every speaker I used it with including the Angstrom Abbligato's and there 10" side firing woofers, pictured above. Although many folks think of a big sub as slow moving, I always assumed the big driver didn't have to move very far to output huge amounts of deep, rich bass, in some ways making it seem faster than it likely was. I've owned many subs both home built and store purchased, probably more than a dozen, I've always felt 18 inches was the magic number for true sub bass output.
Tim
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: tmsorosk's system   Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:36 pm

Hi Tim

I had 2 systems at TuneVilla (the original tunable house) using 18" (treated paper woofer) subs. One was a huge cabinet down firing, the other built into a peak of an A frame located way up and behind the listener.

Very cool to see your thread take wings Very Happy

You said you have 3 systems now. I saw the one in your workshop and in your main room. What's the 3rd one like?

I personally love being able to go from system to system. When you get a chance can you take us on a listening tour? Also as your starting to share past systems, it would be cool to see your component journey.

Cool stuff my friend Exclamation Super glad you've made us your audio home.

Oh BTW got some X30 fans here, me included. A very useful tool.

Back to top Go down
tmsorosk

PostSubject: Re: tmsorosk's system   Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:21 pm

Hey

Those rooms at TuneVilla sound way cool Michael, great name no less.

I do have a third system although it's a private thing, only a few close friends have seen the inside of my vintage suite. Most of the gear is only getting close to vintage status. You'll likely remember some of the rubble, Conrad-Johnson Art 1, Cary 805's, Linn Sondek CD12 and LP12, Sonus Faber Guarneri Homage, etc. What makes this room special to me is not so much the equipment but the entire room is decorated in a nostalgic manner including wallpaper, paint color, ornaments etc. Most of the furnishings were handed down to me from parents or grandparents, even a few paintings and nik-naks from my great great grandmother.
It's where I go to forget where I am.
 Tune on
   Tim
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: tmsorosk's system   Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:12 pm

A great place of reflection and peace no doubt Smile

Back to top Go down
tmsorosk

PostSubject: Re: tmsorosk's system   Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:24 am

Here's the same past system configured a bit differently.

Back to top Go down
tmsorosk

PostSubject: Re: tmsorosk's system   Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:55 am

Well, i'm on the merry-go-round again, as they say.
Yesterday I inadvertently heard a pair of speakers that stopped me in my tracks and left me with mouth agape etc.
Sonus faber Amati Anniversario's. Although I loved my Revel Studio 2's, the magic the Amati's conveyed was nothing short of divine.

Any setup tips would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: tmsorosk's system   Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:57 pm

Hi Tim

Not many things more fun in this hobby, than hearing something new. It begins to stretch our reality and somehow gives us permission to take further steps.

For myself it is all consuming, and what has lead me to a system that is totally tunable, or I should say as tunable as my living conditions allow Laughing .

An exciting time for you my friend Exclamation

I'd be interested to see what your thoughts are about how this has got you thinking. Are you thinking new speakers, system change, or what you might do to your room and perhaps other areas that may incorperate what you just heard. Any way you go, I want you to know we're here with you to share our thoughts, hopes and journey.

Smile

gotta love this hobby

Back to top Go down
tmsorosk

PostSubject: Re: tmsorosk's system   Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:58 pm

Michael Green wrote:
Hi Tim

Not many things more fun in this hobby, than hearing something new. It begins to stretch our reality and somehow gives us permission to take further steps.

For myself it is all consuming, and what has lead me to a system that is totally tunable, or I should say as tunable as my living conditions allow Laughing .

An exciting time for you my friend Exclamation

I'd be interested to see what your thoughts are about how this has got you thinking. Are you thinking new speakers, system change, or what you might do to your room and perhaps other areas that may incorperate what you just heard. Any way you go, I want you to know we're here with you to share our thoughts, hopes and journey.

Smile

gotta love this hobby

The speakers are a done deal Michael, pick them up on Saturday, may have to make other changes to make it all come together. I'm a phile, change, listen, change again, listen, tune, retune and basically have fun. Smile

Tim
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: tmsorosk's system   Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:28 pm

And a new love affair begins. Congrats Tim Exclamation

looking forward to seeing some pics, when you get a chance

cheers cheers cheers

also some reviews between the two speakers

Back to top Go down
tmsorosk

PostSubject: Re: tmsorosk's system   Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:02 pm

Here's a pic of the new speakers. Yeah I no it's not a great shot.

Very musical compared to the very neutral Studio's.
Strings and horns just seem to appear in the room and with much authenticity.
More later.
Tim
Back to top Go down
tmsorosk

PostSubject: Re: tmsorosk's system   Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:05 pm

One more then.
Back to top Go down
tmsorosk

PostSubject: Re: tmsorosk's system   Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:12 pm

Here's one of me and the pup.

And the old boot.

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: tmsorosk's system   Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:59 am

Look at you, youngster Cool

Dane or Mastiff breed?

Old boot, your in trouble now Smile

Back to top Go down
tmsorosk

PostSubject: Re: tmsorosk's system   Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:05 am

Hello

I had many generations of Danes, then the mother of the above took a liking to my neighbors St Bernard and this was the out come, six of-um. lol

I use Photo Bucket to store my photos, so I threw in the above images just for giggles. If you click the image before there resized you can see my whole bucket, not much there yet.

Here's a side view of the new speakers. Once i've had some real time to spend with them I'll do a mini review. Also would like Michaels view on the best way to set them up.

Tune on
 Tim

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: tmsorosk's system   Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:12 pm

Hi Tim

I'm so behind with being caught up on TuneLand since Harold was here, I feel like a stranger bounce

I keep wondering how the settling is going with the new speakers?

another question

Did your furniture change in the room?

study

Back to top Go down
tmsorosk

PostSubject: Re: tmsorosk's system   Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:01 am

Howdy stranger, and all.

I just had to move some furniture around a bit to make room for members of the audio club, they show like locust. That one love seat is not nearly as close to the speakers as it appears, my photography skills leave much to be desired, as you've seen.

Yes the speakers, it's only been two weeks so there not totally settled-in yet, even though I've let them run continuously. They were a used pair but used very little, don't know if they ever got run-in. They definitely give a more realistic allusion of having an instrument in the room compared to the Revels. I've tried a few in house amps as well as one I borrowed from a friend. The Levinson had the most robust bass and made all others seem a bit unmoored in direct comparison, but just didn't give the instruments and vocals that human touch. The Luxman I tried was very good overall and had nice texture and what I call a tangible sound but lacked mid and upper detail through the Anniversario's. The Cary's were the only tube amps I tried, so I don't think I need to say that they had the most color and warmth of the bunch, nice for a while but not the sound I was looking for. The Anniversario's are a tad on the warm side no matter what drove them so with the tubes it was maybe just too much of a good thing. The Ayre was the hardest to get a fix on but had palpability and flow like no other. Although the Ayre had the least impressive presentation it gave the feeling of having nothing between the source and speakers. The last amp I have to try is a Mac, i'll hook it up today. So far what I can say is the Anniversario's have a slightly warm but human sound with good bass extension and a midrange that leaves one smitten. A deep sound stage but not too wide, that may be my room or set-up. Could use some set-up help folks. I noticed that Sumiko sets these speakers up with a nearly four inch rake, but the current spikes only allowed about half inch, it helped. Any idea's ?

The amps only got three to four days in the system so they hadn't settled in totally but I think I got a pretty good idea of what they sound like with the new speakers.

I hope everyone reading understands this is only my personal perspective, and not meant to undermine the love of a piece of equipment that the reader may have.

Tim

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: tmsorosk's system   Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:42 am

Hi Tim

Well you know me, I'm going to say some tunes and platforms Smile

Cool

Back to top Go down
tmsorosk

PostSubject: Re: tmsorosk's system   Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:54 am

Michael Green wrote:
Hi Tim

Well you know me, I'm going to say some tunes and platforms Smile

Cool
Well, I didn't want to bring it up, but i was interested in the platforms we discussed a while back, particularly the first ones ( The Underneath ), but there seemed to be some confusion between you and someone else involved, questions weren't answered and I somehow got forgotten. Needless to say the lack of focus on this project made me lose interest.

I'm sure there was a good reason for what happened, we all get busy at times. No hard feelings on my part, hope you feel the same.
Back to top Go down

tmsorosk's system
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next