Michael Green Audio Forum

http://tuneland.techno-zone.net

Our Website  HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Toledo's system

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Toledo

PostSubject: Re: Toledo's system   Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:56 pm

I am going to look into maybe tapping into circuit in an adjoining room that may be on different circuit to get cleaner power. Will have to see if possible.

I did move the power strip to next outlet over onto the left system wall further away from computer equipment. Wouldn't it be cool if this outlet was on different circuit since the wall behind it is the main hallway. Have to listen for suck outs like last night.

UPS guy ( the other one ) is my new best friend .. just dropped off two 4105s.

Already have one without top, all screws loosened, no wire ties, power cord loosened and trannie loosened and hooked up with new kimber speaker cables.

Wanted to see if unit was working before I unplug all connectors and untwist wires and such.

Mikey likes ( the other one.) A completely different system. Bold and room filling, tons more bass than yammie and well mannered with good soundstage.

Seconds Out was rocking the room and was "touching me."

I can work with this.

How many hours for 4105 breakin do you figure?

Update:

Wow ! The most uncanny feeling I am on stage. Still has a lot of loosening up to go and smoothing out, but, it is reaching into room and some float is developing. Way cool.
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Toledo's system   Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:12 am

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy 

wait till it burns a little  Smile 

7 days of constant play is the starting gate. Then she will balance out nice like a Sunday drive in a restored 64.5 mustang convertible on it's way from Phoenix to Sedona.

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Toledo's system   Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:19 am

And SO? I'm waiting to hear more raves on this amp  Smile  Isn't it crazy?

I was in there listening thinking about what must go through the minds when they start tuning the 4105 and I would assume the 4109. How much does the whole high end audio thing change?

The FUNAI
The Sherwood
Platforms and stuff (tunable tweaks)
And Tunable speakers

It's like "wow, I'm here". I can see a flavor this way or that but I'm pretty happy with where this can go without any of the other flavor wants. Last night it felt just like listening to tubes without the draw.

Back to top Go down
Toledo

PostSubject: Re: Toledo's system   Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:48 am

Unfortunately, Dad duties called. I just got back.

Just think this is with the following done ..

The FUNAI...........check
The Sherwood......check
Platforms and stuff (tunable tweaks)
And Tunable speakers

Perhaps tunable stands Wink

When do you think we should think about placing an order for some stuff. The laminate flooring will be done ... just need to decide best time .. I will go with the mdf core ... 

How are you feeling about the platform setup you use for this room plus PZC instead of RTD2?
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Toledo's system   Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:34 am

Hi Toledo

Harold is back home from his trip (he got some great art) so we should put this together when he is ready. Lets fire him an email.

I think because of your advancements we should go with the FS PZC as well.

I think the Platform should either be like mine or the new version like this.

The top board is the same. I will be putting one of these in my room shortly. At that time I can let you know but I'm pretty sure this is the one to go with. I'll show you a few configurations and you can choose from there.

Back to top Go down
Toledo

PostSubject: Re: Toledo's system   Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:34 am

What is the wood breakdown on the platform? Is that LT redwood with Brazilian pine? Sweet.

Also, now that I have the 4105 to compare, it looks like the 4109 trannie has a new cover on it. Wonder if that could be removed.
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Toledo's system   Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:04 pm

Hi Toledo

Yes the platform is a combo of LTR and Brazilian Pine, and she is sweet indeed. Look at GARP's comments. This Platform is sitting in his system now.

http://tuneland.techno-zone.net/t35p60-old-tunee-newer-system

Back to top Go down
Toledo

PostSubject: Re: Toledo's system   Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:05 pm

Can't wait to move forward with the platforms.

On the 4105 side, I loosened the screws on the main board a little more this morning for burnin and word to the wise .. there is a limit. The unit would shut itself off immediately. Good protection. I examined the board and don't see where a loose board would cause a short.

I tightened the main board screws a tad and unit started right up. Turned on cd on auto repeat to let it play while at work. When I got home the amp was off. Asked wife when she last heard music and she figures the unit had been running for 8 hours.

Tightened screws a tad more and will see how she does.

Michael, how far have you taken the 4105 in loosening the screws. I suspect there are some screws that need to be tighter than others since I had some fairly loose screws ( story of my life ) last night and loosened some that were tighter this morning.

Some of the screws have a metal foil type washer underneath them while others don't. Some of the metal foil types are the ones that were tighter and I loosened them this morning.

The way I loosened the screws last night may seem willy nilly, but what I did was I loosened a screw until I saw the board relax from relieving the strain and moved to the next screw.

Any idea on what the metal foil is for?
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Toledo's system   Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:29 pm

Hi Toledo

I'm pretty sure the foiled screws are the grounding system. I have not had a short or shut down so not sure but I would say that the protection kicks in (like your saying) when the ground is interupted. Didn't know this. You might ask Hiend001 if he ever ran into this. I keep my screws touching but loose enough to give a nice tone.

Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

PostSubject: Re: Toledo's system   Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:29 am

Hi Toledo

Be careful about those screws with the earthing foil tags.

Sonic once had a CD player where I cracked the screws on the circuit board and loosened a screw with an earthing tag a bit too much. I got an intermittent fault where the player would, in the middle of a CD, just suddenly "hang" and not respond to any commands from the remote or panel buttons. I had to power down and up the machine for it to resume normal operation till the next shut down. It started out infrequently but got more and more frequent as the screw loosened.

It took a long time to trace the fault. So with earth things no telling what happens when you lift them.

Sonic
Back to top Go down
Toledo

PostSubject: Re: Toledo's system   Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:48 am

Thanks Michael and sonic. 

Sonic, I know how that must of felt trying to isolate the system hang problem when troubles are intermittent like that. Thankfully for me the problem showed itself immediately.

The first night I loosened everything up, I thought I should not mess with the grounded ones too much as they looked like they had a purpose. Yesterday morning in a sleep deprived state and wanting to open up the sound as much as possible during breakin, I threw caution to the wind Wink

Memo to self ... Don't be messin with stuff early in the morning!

A lesson well learned for later as I adjust the screws for tone once breakin has settled down some. I can also loosen the screws a bit on the controller board section again now that I know the problem.

Kudos to Sherwood for making the unit stupid proof.

Additional tweak I did to system last night was to file off the barrels on the kimber interconnects. I felt like I was doing a cable jail break Wink I think we should coin this as a new tune term.

Michael, did your 4105 have twisted cables off the trannie out of the box? I looked at the pics of 4105 you posted, and the cables don't look like they were ever twisted.

Also pics of the 4109 do not have twisted cables. 

All three cables sets that connect to the main board via connectors are tightly twisted. I assume I should untwist these.
Back to top Go down
Toledo

PostSubject: Re: Toledo's system   Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:13 pm

Left system on again today while at work to burnin and came home to the 4105 shutoff again  scratch 

Checked the manual and by default the unit has a setting to turn it off after 6hrs cheers which is now turned off  Twisted Evil and screws loosened again geek 

Manuals????? ....we don't need no stinkin' manuals .....  pirat
Back to top Go down
Toledo

PostSubject: Re: Toledo's system   Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:35 pm

Anyone know of an alternative to the x-30 for a passive sub. I cannot seem to find the paradigm anywhere. There is an x-20 I found.

What other alternative are there? Passive with a speaker level input plate amp, perhaps that I can hook into speaker B.

I checked paradigm website and they have a sub amp with built in active crossover with level setting, crossover freq and phase. It is line level input only.
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Toledo's system   Thu May 01, 2014 12:05 am

"Left system on again today while at work to burnin and came home to the 4105 shutoff again  

Checked the manual and by default the unit has a setting to turn it off after 6hrs  which is now turned off   and screws loosened again  

Manuals????? ....we don't need no stinkin' manuals .....  "

What? Mine stays on forever.

Of, it's a setting you can use or not use?

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Toledo's system   Thu May 01, 2014 12:08 am

another what? no X 30's?

No 

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Toledo's system   Thu May 01, 2014 12:12 am

well this might brighten things up just a little

sunny 

Back to top Go down
Toledo

PostSubject: Re: Toledo's system   Thu May 01, 2014 12:23 am

Oooooh .. Definitely sunglasses bright.

Need the play by play on it though.

The 4105 by default shutoffs after 6hrs, but, you can turn this off and it will stay on however long you like.

Also, did you see my post above ( I was chatty today ) about twisted cables in the 4105.
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Toledo's system   Thu May 01, 2014 12:54 am

Hi Toledo

Yes, see the plug in? You would unplug untwist and put back in. (might want to unplug the unit first)

things that go boom in the night kinda thing

Back to top Go down
Toledo

PostSubject: Re: Toledo's system   Thu May 01, 2014 1:06 am

But I like fireworks.

Can you explain the platform a bit especially the bottom?

Sitting here listening to Los Endos jamming..you have to love those dueling sets of drums.
Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

PostSubject: Re: Toledo's system   Thu May 01, 2014 1:13 am

That "bright" diagram from Michael with the two devices top tuned gives Sonic ideas.
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Toledo's system   Thu May 01, 2014 1:46 am

Back to top Go down
Toledo

PostSubject: Re: Toledo's system   Thu May 01, 2014 1:52 am

Very nice...I get it and really can see how the transfer works.

The platform spikes rest directly on the BP transfer boards? Don't they eventually dig into the wood or is part of desired transfer?
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Toledo's system   Thu May 01, 2014 2:10 am

"The platform spikes rest directly on the BP transfer boards? Don't they eventually dig into the wood or is part of desired transfer?"

Sometimes that's the desired way, and sometimes a piece of Magic Wood there, or a coin, or some type of flavoring wood.

Once you get the transfer in motion it will tell you what it wants. You'll get use to different flavors and I'll always be talking about them as I do things. The main thing is to take it through some levels before it hits that wood on top of the concrete floor.

Back to top Go down
Toledo

PostSubject: Re: Toledo's system   Thu May 01, 2014 9:57 am

Thanks Michael. I'm getting psyched.

The platform will be a larger version of the photo shown? It will have one tuning bolt?
One tuning bolt in the middle between amp and cd should make access easier for on the fly adjustments .. I like that.

What wood is used for the canopy top tuning boards. Do you season to taste with various species or generally stay with a complementary wood for the platform tuning board?

What wood is used for the bottom runners that transfer from the LTR frame to the laminate floors.

I'm like a kid .. Want to know everything Wink

Just wait for the "dad, are we there yet!"
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Toledo's system   Thu May 01, 2014 1:15 pm

Hi Toledo

Yes, much bigger than that Platform. It can have no tuning bolt at all or one in the middle. I would not go more than one for that size. It is a nice place to do simple adjustments. With your Platform being right at 40" to 42" having it in the middle is pretty sweet.

canopies

There are a few Top Tuning Boards I like for Canopies, and I don't always use threaded rods either for the Canopy legs. I've been playing  Smile  Poplar makes a nice Top Board, so does BP and Western red. There are also different Tuning top Rods that have nice sounds. Birch of course, and Red Oak surprisingly sometimes and Chinese Poplar.

bottom runners

I think for your floor really dried Douglas Fir. I have some here, I've been curing a long time.

It's like building a piano isn't it.

Back to top Go down

Toledo's system
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next