Michael Green Audio Forum

http://tuneland.techno-zone.net

Our Website  HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

connectors, does high end want to change?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: connectors, does high end want to change?   Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:27 pm

Steven from "enjoy the music" ask.

"QUESTION: Why are high-end audio manufacturers and cable companies still using the low-fi RCA connection system? The RCA was designed in the 1940's as a low-end, low cost system. Is there a better way? We look forward to high-end audio manufacturers defending their use for the RCA system, or your reasons for taking steps to eliminate it within your products. We look forward to your replies to this e-mail and we may add your comments within our August Review Magazine."

mg

I never thought RCA's were low end to begin with. High end audio will push for something with more mass and this could take us yet further from our goal. If anything I think we should be going bare wire into a pressure spring that would be adjustable.

your thoughts?

Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

PostSubject: Re: connectors, does high end want to change?   Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:35 am

Sonic likes 47Labs approach where their 26 AWG interconnect wires were held to the socket without the RCA plug as we know it.

Now that I have experienced the Tune Sonic has two observations on plugs:

a. to hear of manufacturers claim their High Mass, High Contact Pressure RCAs (or any plugs) are marks of superiority now strikes me as wrongheaded. No one I have seen has made a technical case for why High Mass. High Contact Pressure plugs and jacks are better/sound better. Even for mains plugs Sonic uses the lightest and cheapest ones I can find. Once I was talked into using a High Mass Hospital Grade Mains Plug ("feel the weight, that's quality" says salesman). It shut the sound down immediately and sounded terrible the more its effect became apparent.

b. the RCA plugs can be used to adjust the sound by turning them like knobs. Michael advises that the plugs are not inserted all the way in but just enough to make contact. Sonic would be careful not to have a plug come loose, especially if you choose to try adjusting the sound by turning the plug. The resulting Bang! can be very unpleasant if not damaging in some way. Stuff like this is too extreme for Sonic.
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: connectors, does high end want to change?   Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:14 pm

It scares me to death that the high end would take yet another turn toward over mass. If they can't see/hear the world is heading in the oposite direction, they would by doing this put the final nail in the coffin.

I would prefer bare wire going into an adjustable clip, or have a surface to surface flat connector, but certainly not a heavy clamped device.

They need to take a look at what the world is doing and not try to reinvent the world.

If it were not going to be bare wire than I would slimline it down to one connector.

Pretty smart aren't I  Smile 

Back to top Go down

connectors, does high end want to change?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1