Michael Green Audio Forum

http://tuneland.techno-zone.net

Our Website  HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

CES 2015 Las Vegas

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: CES 2015 Las Vegas   Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:18 pm

Right around the corner is CES 2015

Harold will be on the scene with the "Get Tuned" girls. Should be fun Exclamation

Last edited by Michael Green on Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:38 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
hcooper99

PostSubject: Re: CES 2015 Las Vegas   Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:13 am

Harold here

Welcome to the 2015 CES in Las Vegas. Already having a good time showing some of our new toys.

BTW this years T-Shirts are available.

Here's the girls T-Shirt.

see you there

coop
Back to top Go down
MGA

PostSubject: Re: CES 2015 Las Vegas   Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:11 am

MGA Cool
Back to top Go down
MGA

PostSubject: Re: CES 2015 Las Vegas   Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:35 pm

The CES has not begun but we're pretty warmed up as the "Get Tune" Girls arrive.

Back to top Go down
MGA

PostSubject: Re: CES 2015 Las Vegas   Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:22 pm

Michael is doing demos with the Mini Mod, Mandolin and Viola Mini's.

The Viola Mini's make their way to Listening Room #1. This CES the focus is on the new speaker line up. First speaker line from Michael since the relocation to Las Vegas NV.

"the last few years have been spent on proto-typing and studying what makes instruments give their dynamic ranges. I'm tired of hearing speakers sound like speakers and not the instruments they're playing. I look around the industry and see HiFi not tools designed to play music the way the music was created. My speakers of the past have helped me learn about textures and the sense of "real space". Now it's about making playback musical instruments designed not to be part of HiFi, but an extention of the performance" mg

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: CES 2015 Las Vegas   Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:00 am

Last edited by Michael Green on Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:16 pm; edited 7 times in total
Back to top Go down
sails

PostSubject: Re: CES 2015 Las Vegas   Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:53 pm

THANKS

Was like listening to a full body headphone.
Gives me a new respect for the sound stage.

Back to top Go down
CESer

PostSubject: Re: CES 2015 Las Vegas   Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:09 pm

Mr.Green and COOP

This was my best CES ever and It doesn't start till tomorrow. Hearing the speaker stands made a believer out of me. I didn't know platforms could do so much for the music.

That was magic. I meant to ask what music you were playing? My buddies are going to shit when they find out the size of that room. They won't understand how, not sure I do.

Thanks again, much success.

Back to top Go down
MGA

PostSubject: Re: CES 2015 Las Vegas   Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:32 pm

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: CES 2015 Las Vegas   Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:27 am

Thanks Sails and CESer (good username) for taking the time to register and post. Before you leave town hook up with Coop or the girls and we'll get you a signed T-Shirt Very Happy

I think we're almost talked into a cook-out next CES. I hope Richard brings "THE Show" back to Vegas next year. If not maybe we can throw a several day listening bash. Who knows, I don't want to get ahead of myself, but I still think Las Vegas is the perfect place to come listen to stereo. Maybe I'm a little bias.

have a great time the rest of the week Exclamation

Oh, I'm pretty sure your talking about Dave Holland "Not for Nothin". That's on ECM Records.

pretty cool stuff

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: CES 2015 Las Vegas   Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:36 am

CES News from MG

Rock icon Neil Young and PonoMusic will hold a special press briefing on High Resolution Audio on Tuesday, January 6 from 3:30-4:30 PM at the Hi-Res Audio Workshop (Venetian, Bellini ballroom 2001). Limited seating is available. In addition, Young will share his passion for high-res music in a SuperSession led by Rolling Stone executive editor Nathan Brackett on Wednesday, January 7 from 10:15-11:15 AM at the LVCC, room N257.

Covering what’s next and what’s big, SuperSessions offer a spotlight for showcasing out-of-the-box ideas. These free sessions feature the voices shaping our industry, from C-level executives and consumer technology industry leaders to futurists and innovators.

Last edited by Michael Green on Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: CES 2015 Las Vegas   Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:17 pm

2015 CES Innovation Awards

The 2015 International CES Innovation Awards, culminating at the International CES® in Las Vegas, is the ultimate recognition for the design and engineering of consumer technology products. Since 1976, this prestigious program has honored today’s ground breaking technology.

The awards span 28 product categories and cover the most influential and innovative fields in the industry, from smart home to wearable technologies. Entries are evaluated on their engineering and design qualities: aesthetics, functionality and uniqueness. The expert panel of judges consists of an independent designer, independent engineer and a member of the trade press.

Products chosen as Innovation Honorees reflect the cutting-edge ingenuity that drives our industry forward. The Best of Innovation designation goes to the top-scoring product in each respective category.

This year’s honorees will be featured at CES Unveiled Las Vegas on January 4 and within the Innovation Awards Showcase at CES Tech West in the Sands, Level 2, Booth #75545

the winners are (click on their PDF)

http://www.ce.org/i3/Features/2015/2015-CES-Innovation-Awards

Last edited by Michael Green on Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:24 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
MGA

PostSubject: Re: CES 2015 Las Vegas   Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:46 pm

Innovation Takes Center Stage as 2015 International CES Opens Today

More than 3,600 exhibitors across more than 2.2 million net square feet; major product announcements, plus Samsung and Mercedes keynotes highlight CES eve
Las Vegas, NV – 01/06/2015 – The 2015 International CES® kicks off today poised to be a record-breaking show with more than 3,600 exhibitors across the largest show floor in history with more than 2.2 million net square feet of exhibit space, breaking last year’s previously set record of 2.06 million net square feet. Owned and produced by the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA)®, the 2015 International CES runs through Friday, January 9.

“The doors are open to this year’s record-breaking event where attendees will experience the magic of consumer technology come to life across the entire technology ecosystem,” said Gary Shapiro, president and CEO, CEA. “The International CES is the epicenter for the ever-expanding global consumer technology community, showcasing the promise and power of technology and serving as a platform for all innovators, big and small.”

Samsung President and CEO of Consumer Electronics Boo-Keun Yoon explored the implications of a fully connected world powered by the Internet of Things (IoT) during his visionary preshow keynote Sunday evening, which he called “science fact,” not science fiction. He highlighted several scenarios of life made easier, healthier and more efficient because of IoT connectivity, including TVs that automatically pause when you leave the room, wearables that monitor brain waves to track biometric data and music systems that seamlessly transition from your home speakers to your headphones. “The Internet of Things is about people, not things,” he emphasized. By 2017, Yoon said, 90 percent of all Samsung devices will be IoT-enabled; by 2020, all Samsung devices will be connected to the IoT.

Later Sunday evening, Dr. Dieter Zetsche, chairman of the Board, Daimler AG and head of Mercedes-Benz Cars, took the keynote stage and discussed the car of the future, saying that, “Mercedes aims to develop truly superhuman autonomous driving ability” before he unveiled the company’s new concept car F 015. The concept car of the future, according to Zetsche, can drive itself, has seats that can swivel to face each other, and possesses a computerized brain to watch pedestrian traffic. The aim of the concept car is space, time and privacy with the interior featuring gesture and eye tracking control with free floating driving instruments. Zetsche did admit that there are legal hurdles ahead such as liability in the case of an unavoidable accidents, but said those are “industry issues that we must resolve with a joint effort.” He further explained that “quality time and private space will be the true luxury items of the future,” and that these concepts will help us to achieve “the dream of freedom and mobility.”

Innovation, connectivity and cross-industry collaborations defined this year’s preshow press events starting with CES Unveiled Las Vegas, the official media event of the 2015 CES, on Sunday night. A record 109 tabletop displays, including 27 startups from Eureka Park – the CES exhibit area exclusively for startup companies - showed off a sneak preview of show floor product launches to come throughout the week.  Drawing one of the largest media crowds in Unveiled history, this year’s event featured companies debuting the latest in automotive electronics, fitness and sports, health and bio tech, immersive entertainment, Internet of things, personal security, smart home tech, sensors, 3D printing, wearables and unmanned systems.

Product announcements continue

•Bosch – BME 680, world’s first sensor measuring humidity, air pressure and gas; Dremel, the only UL certified 3D printer on the market; and Njon, an integrated Ebike with smartphone app and online portal

•Dish – 4K Joey, first 4K set top box that also allows side by side viewing in HD; Hopper Voice Remote, dual-mode touchpad with swipe and touch capabilities; Sling TV, Standalone streaming TV service offering the best of Live TV and online video

•Epson – Cinema 600, compact digital projector that can scale up its display to 25 times larger than a 60-inch TV screen

•Hisense - VIDAA Max 100” Laser Cinema TV, features a blue laser diode light source offering 25,000 hours of viewing with no degradation of brightness or color

•LG - LG G Flex 2 - 5.5" P-OLED display with 20 percent greater durability that “heals” from backing scratches in 10 seconds; flexible curved OLED 77" 4K

•Monster – Superstar Backfloat speaker (wireless, Bluetooth, waterproof and floats on water); Soundstage (S1, S2, S3 models), include USB ports, stereo input, Bluetooth, and streamed directly from your device

•Panasonic – First native 4K Blue-ray player; and Panasonic Home Monitoring System KX-HN6002W, DIY remote home monitoring system, features smart plug, window/door sensors, indoor/outdoor cameras and cordless handset

•Qualcomm – Collaboration with LIFX to deliver Wi-fi based smart lighting platform with AllJoyn - Licensable technology to turn any lightbulb into a smart lightbulb

•Sharp – AQUOS Crystal, a frameless smartphone; the first spec’d 85” 8K LCD; the world’s largest 4K Ultra HD LCD commercial display; and free form LCD display, allowing displays of virtually any shape to be integrated into consumer products

•Sony – Play Station Vue; : α7 II, 5-axis image stabilization, the world’s first in a full-frame camera; 4K Handycam (20.6 megapixels); X900C Series 4K ultra HD TV, world’s thinnest (1.2 inches) LCD TV

•TCL - TV+, the H9700, is a Quantum Dot TV which includes apps, gaming and voice control in the TV without any accessories.

•ZTE – ThesPro 2, a smart HD projector with Wi-Fi capability, 200 lumens, auto-focus, anti-glare, touch screen controlled with video conferencing via Skype
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: CES 2015 Las Vegas   Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:58 pm

I know many of you look at show reports expecting to see all your favorite audio components, and that's coming on this report as well, but today we're following the crowds, 160,000 of them, to the most popular places after we already did our first round of the high end audio.

picture going to an innovative dreamland designed for futuristic engineers

This CES sets the stage for what is coming your way and making it happen now. From our perspective talking about tunable rooms and products, the hosts of these hi-tech palaces are quickly grabbing and throwing MGA in their think tank rooms. Tonight when I get back home to do my demos and have time to reflect I'll try to spell out what the mainstream idea of the audiophile movement is. For now though Coop is off to see if he can hook up with Neil and get some photos for you.

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: CES 2015 Las Vegas   Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:02 pm

Just over the hill Smile

You know how you have your neighborhood grocery store a few blooks away from your house, well imagine having the worlds largest Electronic Trade Show that close to you. Today I hit my odometer for grins, 2.6 miles to the front door of the CC.

This year feels more set in a well established place. The hi-tech companies have their game plans and seem to be past the what if's in the direction the present and future holds. From our view, on one side you see more advanced technologies than ever, and on the other a saying goodbye of the old.

For us it's interesting to see the high end audio part attempt to head closer to the mainstream, with the mainstream sharing in the lead. The roles have reversed or at least working together, and instead of the high end being the cutting edge in R&D, it is incorporating what the mainstream developes into a high end version. Not all but most. Walking from the main floors to the high end audio areas is educational to say the least. As we walk around we're asking each other "is the high end of audio getting it".

It's like in the 90's there was talk about what would be, 2000 the infrastructure was put in place and now the smooth sailing begins.  The main floor 155,000 industry leaders and buyers. The High End Audio areas 5000 (I'm being more than kind) and half of these are making what I said earilier "high end versions of the mainstream".

You might be tempted to say "I'm being negative", but quite the opposite. I'm more than excited to say the mainstream has done it. The mainstream is being innovative and designing a far more practical world that includes everyone at every level of performance and price range. Already at this show I feel more comfortable talking about tuning and creating a real concert space environment, which I have always said that true high end audio is about all three parts Electrical, Mechanical and Acoustical. So far in talking to the industry leaders they share my view, but this show is far from over and there is much to see, take in and give reflection on.

Last edited by Michael Green on Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:56 pm; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
hcooper99

PostSubject: Re: CES 2015 Las Vegas   Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:27 pm

Coop Report

I'll get photos to the guys to post tonight. I have to see how the next day or two goes before saying much about the High End Audio rooms, but was surprised to see the low numbers as compared to past shows a few years ago. Maybe they're doing the main floor today and making way here later, but this is nothing like my visits to the Venetian not many years past. Still, I'm having fun wherever the music takes me.

The main convention floors are packed wall to wall and have a different vibe to them. It's an engineers dream come true. I could spend 20 show days in the main convention and not experience it all. Don't know what my feet would say about that.

here's a warm up shot of the high end area, see you tomorrow

coop
Back to top Go down
MGA

PostSubject: Re: CES 2015 Las Vegas   Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:19 pm

Back to top Go down
hcooper99

PostSubject: Re: CES 2015 Las Vegas   Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:07 pm

I will need help from Michael on my posting, cause after a few and a wonderful meal I'm going to be ready for bed Sleep

Michael's place is hopping with tunes and even though I'm a little bias one of the  things that sticks out to me over any of the other systems at the CES is, when I listened to any of the systems at the Venetian, as good as they were, they were still in that box.

Michael's one of those guys that wants and needs to know the truth and when he asked how did his systems do in comparison he doesn't like punches pulled. In his eyes if he needs to step up to the plate that's the way it is, but there's no need. After coming from the show to his rooms the way I would have to describe it, is listening to a stereo or listening to music. Even the super big dollar systems did not have that magical open sound and depth to the music. The soundstage at TuneLand starts as soon as you hear the music playing. When you get your head through that door you are inside the music like you are in that hall or studio. I didn't get that feeling from any of the systems at the CES. There was a certain disconnect between you and the music that doesn't happen with Michael's setups and the most interesting part is, you don't really understand how much of a difference there is till you spend time at the show then hear the tuned system. It's two different experiences. One where your viewing audio and the other where your experiencing it.

So if MG will post some pics for me I'm done for the night Sleep
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: CES 2015 Las Vegas   Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:29 am

No Problem Exclamation

I know you got your hands full so I'll try to fill in the blanks.

Much to talk about and I hope readers who visit this particular show report are able to add it together with the other reports to see a sum.

When we come to the CES we're here to celebrate music and the privilege we have to be a part of it. I find show reports interesting from the fact that if your in the industry you can see the bias spins that are put in the press. I view the entire entertainment biz + hi-tech as being one chain. Meaning I don't separate the beginning from the end. I don't start with the LP, CD, Tape or File. The beginning for me is the recording and all of the tools to make it. The playback is the second half of the game but you have to have the season to make the game happen. It's all about repainting the original picture.

the transition

I remember 15 years ago high end audio companies swore loyalty to analog front ends to the death. These same companies today are into car audio and the four main front end food groups Tables, CDs, Files and streaming. Making a count at this CES in the High End Audio section Harold and I came up with close to the same numbers. Files and Streaming led the pack, followed by CD's and last the Turntable. In the table rooms you mostly saw a player there as well and if you looked at the pre you found the ability to hook up all. Cearly you can see that tables and CD players are all but out the door. I'm not saying I like this one way or another but it is what is seen.

15 years ago you walk in and see big turntables, you walk in now and see this.

A world that 20 years ago would never be mingling with the "high end audio" snobs. Low end running the front end of high end?

I see it differently though. High end audio has not been the innovative force in stereo for some time now, maybe back to the days of the turntable. The R&D of the hi-tech mass companies from what I'm seeing and hearing have leveled the playing field.

Maybe this CES is trying to tell us something. It certainly is speaking loud and clear with the numbers.

Last edited by Michael Green on Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:04 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
MGA

PostSubject: Re: CES 2015 Las Vegas   Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:29 am

Back to top Go down
MGA

PostSubject: Re: CES 2015 Las Vegas   Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:24 pm

the smiles come out at the CES

and why not, it's the best hobby ever

Back to top Go down
MGA

PostSubject: Re: CES 2015 Las Vegas   Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:51 pm

audio icon & friend Lew Johnson

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: CES 2015 Las Vegas   Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:03 pm

Want to give a personal shout out to one of High End's best show venues. You are truly missed Richard.

Vegas has had the privilege of being home for T.H.E. Show for many years, and this year we feel the void as Richard and his team take a break.

Be sure to visit our friends http://theshownewport.com/

also

Be sure to read the article on Harry Pearson. Our first show without him. RIP friend!

Back to top Go down
MGA

PostSubject: Re: CES 2015 Las Vegas   Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:22 pm

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: CES 2015 Las Vegas   Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:54 pm

Day2 was crazy madness for me on the main floor, but had some good meetings in the areas of audio that I wanted.

My main focus was on simplicity, the front end, and how does High End fit in with the rest of the industry. One note I might make is for myself there are two shows that I look at as one, the CES and the NAMM (the pro and recording version of the CES).

The main floor was packed and bigger than last year. There is a big sense of community and the sharing of ideas. Where 20 years ago I would have and did consider the CES floor as being in some ways "the cheap stuff" this is no longer the case. The main floor is a super hi-tech palace of all things electronic. In the past I felt like I was talking to Radio Shack, now I feel like I'm talking to informed well trained engineers who are very up and involved in the now and future. Kinda funny when I think about how my perception years ago has been reversed in many ways. At one time I looked at expensive as mark of excellence, but the last 3 years of the CES has taught me something different. Innovation starts with the guys in the labs of these mega companies and spreads to the different parts of the economy scales.

What I'm learning makes me very happy because it's in-line with my belief in the entry level. This changes every thing for the audio enthusiast.

Simple stereo receivers, integrated amps and single input amps for the purist.

Have to run to a meeting but want to get back to this.

Back to top Go down

CES 2015 Las Vegas
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next