Michael Green Audio Forum

http://tuneland.techno-zone.net

Our Website  HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Greetings from malaysia

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 16  Next
AuthorMessage
tjbhuler

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from malaysia   Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:27 pm

Hi Michael and fellow tuners,

Finally got it done today with my assistant(my wife Laughing ) to move around those empty boxes stacked up to get a height of 4ft.

Continution Drapes

I continued with my drapes journey as where I left it which is keeping it partially closed (center is open) like this |||||    |||||. Now just to be clear to my fellow tuners the pictures Michael posted yesterday as you can see the first picture is like this |||||||          | and third picture is like this |         ||||||. Hope that clears up what I was trying to describe  Smile .

After a good 50 minutes of listening and comparing I found that keeping it partially close and center open was better than ||||||     | but it was the |     ||||| that gave the best overall sound. As initially I mentioned closing the drapes fully was better but after re listening again today it was clear that having the drapes fully closed was missing some of the highs and the tone was darker on certain cd's which shouldn't be so.

Boxes

Now moving on with the box using my wife (thank god she was in a good mood Wink ) to move around those boxes stacked onto each other was really fun.

Placing in front of the Left speaker made the sound partially disappear from the left, vocals now shifted to the right. Left stage totally collapsed there was some notes that I could hear from the left and that was confined towards the speaker only. Best description will be like shifting the balance vol over my pre amp to the right. It was the same thing also when placed the box in front of the Right speaker the vocals shifted to the left and stage collapsed.

Placing the box at the back of my speakers (first left and then right), now things took a change in tone as it sounded slightly darker and bass was significantly increased and tuneful. The darker tone was towards where the box was placed giving a sense of 2 tones divided left and right also a bump in loudness.  Another finding noted when placing the boxes behind the speakers was it made the stage slightly skewed towards where the box was placed. Vocals also sounded slightly elongated and skewed towards where the box was placed.

Placing the box at the center of the room (which was more like at the center of the speaker plane) with a distance of 3 ft from my sitting position. Now this was surprising as I was not prepared for the changes that I heard. Everything from stage,vocals, instruments and bass came towards the box (indirectly towards me). Now this gave a very realistic and intimate sounding music to me Shocked. Vocals from the height of the soffits (9ft) was now just above the height of the box (4ft) the bass I felt was pretty up front. Stage was 3D like there was depth Surprised  this was something I couldn't appreciate initially in my setup. Instruments was not confined to speakers it was like some energy that was pulling all the sound now towards the box ( like a magnet). This is nice liked it alot very intimate sounding only gripe I have is that now it sounded slightly boxy.

Final placement of the box was at the staircase here the effect it made was like how I felt like at the right side but lesser. I was beginning to get that flanking sound on certain notes ( noticeable especially with guitars) also a slight increase in volume over the left side. Vocals was not affected and overall the stage was also not affected by this placement. Other than that there was nothing else noted from this placement.

Hence this concludes my nearfield listening impressions with all of what Michael asked for. Next step is to do the same with the speakers placed near to the front wall with different distance from speaker to speaker.

Michael if there is anything else that you want me to clarify, describe more or to listen for something that you are no getting from my description please do let me know as I am describing to what I know off only and am afraid that might not be enough for Michael Laughing .

Regards

TJ
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from malaysia   Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:38 pm

Hi TJ

Very good!

If you can, make a box about the size of a coffee table and place it in front of you.

thanks

Back to top Go down
tjbhuler

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from malaysia   Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:00 am

Hi Michael and fellow tuners

Yup that can be done as the boxes I have are 2ftx2ftx 1ft which I stacked up it to give a height of 4ft. I can use that same boxes and lay it down to give a coffee table layout.

i will email you the picture of the box that I placed in front of me at the center of the speaker plane.
Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from malaysia   Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:24 am

Hello tjbhuler

As you try the cardboard boxes, check and see if your experience with them is the same as Sonic's.

Meaning they work well at the start but after several days, the boxes either lose effectiveness or they close down the sound like as if they were filled with absorbent materials. Then a removal of them restores the sound.

This happened every time I tried cardboard boxes either ported with a toilet roll tube or unported.

It could be the humidity or it might have been my imagination.

Let me know if your experience with the cardboard boxes is the same.

Sonic
Back to top Go down
tjbhuler

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from malaysia   Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:01 am

Hi Sonic,

Thanks for letting me know on your experience with the cardboard boxes, will definitely keep an eye or ear Laughing  of the changes I hear.

I am beginning to map out all the pressure zones in the living and dining room also the staircase and entrance based on what I have heard so far.

Will try to draw out a topology of the pressure zones in my living room. It may not be accurate especially with all the movements I have done so far (sofas,coffee table, bench and equipments) but at least will have a rough idea on the PZ's that I will be dealing with.

Regards

TJ
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from malaysia   Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:47 am

So your finding how active your pressure zones are, good man.

Back to top Go down
tjbhuler

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from malaysia   Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:54 am

After repositioning those boxes yesterday like a coffee table,

today I sat down and listened in this setting. My impression was not so great as in comparison to the stand up setting, seen below.

Vocal thinned out and slightly diffused made it sound less weightier in comparison to previous setting (boxes erected 4 ft height). Instruments was back to its speaker glued to it and sounded thin. Bass was somewhat not in tune with the overall music, this is totally opposite as before.

I decided to remove all those boxes and listen without any of those around. This time vocals fell back to where the soffits are (9 ft height with a banana stage ). Instruments clustered around the speakers leaving holes big holes in the stage (left and right) but it sounded tonally better than having those boxes around which made music sounding slightly midrange-ish/honky .

Next I decided to bring forward pseudo-SAM even nearer towards the back of my head and things got very interesting. As I move my head to the left or right I felt like part of the vocals was around my head and at times the vocals was behind my head Shocked but the rest of the music was still fixated and clustered around the speakers. It seems that whatever sound that was coming from the middle of the stage was getting this effect. Even when i was just listening to only instruments playing like guitar, pianos or drums as long as it was at the middle of the stage this around and back of my head thing was occurring.

Pretty cool stuff Very Happy, can't wait to start and do a comparison between farfield with nearfield listening. All this is really helping me to understand and map out those PZ's.

Only thing that is bothering me are those soffit areas as I don't understand how are those areas interacting with the sound, am trying to think like Michael here but no Idea is appearing.

Regards

TJ
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from malaysia   Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:41 am

Hi TJ

You'll get use to listening to the soffits in time. All these exercises will come in handy in the future.

If you get time to play, move those boxes around and keep getting a feel for things. Don't forget you can also partially fill those boxes to change their pitch.

Back to top Go down
tjbhuler

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from malaysia   Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:17 pm

Past few days have been busy tuning my car audio setup for a local audio competition am joining SQ Masters Unlimited category Embarassed . As usual after all this tuning it causes my ears to go weird, so took a days rest and now am back to my home audio rig tuning.

Decided not to reposition my speakers yet as I wanted to fully understand all the pressure zones existing with nearfield setup. I took Michael's advice and played around with the boxes and introduced more boxes. So now I have 4 boxes and I made up to 2 stacks of 4 ft height boxes with partial fillings giving different density and resonance to the boxes.

Things got pretty serious as now I have lots of positions to place these boxes around (left and right sides of my speaker). All I can say is simply amazing and shocking experience this is with the boxes positioned all around my listening space. The sound changed dramatically from thin to thick and fat sounding, diffused to focused, upfront to a banana stage sounding and from low to high volume just by moving around these boxes.

Firstly I placed the 2 stacks of boxes over to the inner left and right sides of my speaker with a distance of 10". Width of the boxes was faced towards the back wall.

This gave a major boost to the volume of the sound. It was like I increased the volume of my pre amp by a significant 4-5dB. Everything came so close to me vocals was pulled down from the soffits to a height of 7ft and forward to me upto a distance of 4ft. I got very intimate with Jennifer Warners Laughing. Instruments was pulled out from the speakers and beginning to float around towards the boxes. The overall feel was a very dense like listening space I was in, the width was now affected as it was from speaker to speaker. Overall tonality was shifted downwards making it sound darker.
I was so engrossed with that intimate feel so much so I didn't mind at all the highs was sacrificed, even though it was tonally not correct. So I proceeded to angle it and aim the boxes towards me keeping it at the speaker plane.

Now this was amazing cause the tonality shifted up a notch hence regaining some of my highs yet retaining that up close and intimate sound with some highs the overall sound was clearer. Vocals now projected towards me more nearer by 2ft distance from sitting position. Gain slightly more vol about 1-2 dB from the initial gain, bass sounded wooly but fairly tuneful (not the best but ok). The disturbing part was there were holes around the left and right stage giving a poor left to right panning of the stage.
Also my neck was aching due to looking up at the closed up sound produced as the stage was still high (head was tilted up at around 50-60 degrees).

I decided to move the boxes back by about 2 ft

This moved the stage back but yet retaining the overall height of the stage (head now angled at 45 degrees). The forwardness and intimacy of the sound is no more there and bass was getting slightly tight and less wooly.
Overall volume reduced and there was an upwards shift in tonality, making it sounding less thicker towards the vocals and instruments. This sounded tonally better giving an overall sweet sounding music. However that intimacy and upfront feel which was amazing was not there now. Stage width was speaker to speaker.

Next I repositioned those boxes towards the the sides of the speakers this time outside edge 9" from the speaker.

This position caused the stage to totally collapse from |___| to /___\. Volume was significantly diminished I had to increase the volume knob at my pre amp by 4-5 dB  just to give that same loudness as before. After listening to the previous setup this sounded bland,boring and anaemic/thin, there was no feel to music. Vocals was back high up towards soffits.

I repositioned the boxes and moved it back and gave it an angle the width of the boxes aimed at my listening position.

Re positioning the boxes made the width of my stage grow by 3-4 ft Shocked. This made piano notes to flank me from the sides too, this is nice very nice. Stage height was high up the level of soffit. Overall positioning the boxes as such made it sound like a big giant banana stage, tonally everything sounded bland one note sounding.

Next was to bring forward those boxes and place it beside my sitting position with an angle facing the center of my amp.

In this position now immediately without pressing the play button on my cdp, I felt a great sense of presence at my sitting position (dense like feel). When I move my head forward the dense/compressed feel I had reduced significantly. It is like I managed to gathered up some air and cupped it around the sitting position. I proceeded to listen and there was some notes playing over the back of my head and over left and right of my shoulders this effect was noticeable with different cd's I played. Vocals seems to come closer towards me along with the instruments played especially those playing at the center of my stage. when I move my head I could sense some of the vocals was behind it. This effect was like what I felt with the pseudo SAM placed near to  the back of my head distance of 8". I then moved my SAM nearer to my head staging from 18" to 10" stopping at every 2" to hear this effect. This made that presence even more and somewhat focussed towards the center of my head. Moving the SAM even closer than 10" didn't impose any significant benefits.
What I was unable to do was to get more boxes and place it as in the second and third picture  Mad . I am pretty sure I would be enclosed in an almost 360 degrees of pure tunes  Laughing .

This got me thinking on how strong these PZ's affect the overall presentation of your home audio system. Just by using these boxes alone it made my system sound differently. At times a very SET-ish amp to a solid state-ish amp sounding. If using boxes with different density can flavour up an audio system I can only imagine what Michael's tuned wood materials  can do to an audio setup.

Regards

TJ
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from malaysia   Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:38 pm

Hi TJ

Not sure I got the pictures in the right places. Embarassed

let me know

Smile

Back to top Go down
tjbhuler

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from malaysia   Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:15 pm

Hi Michael,

The 3rd pic Michael placed is suppose to be together with the 2nd pic. And in place of the 3rd pic spot ("I decided to move the boxes back by about 2 ft") is the fifth pic you placed under "Next I repositioned those boxes towards the the sides of the speakers this time outside edge 9" from the speaker." Hope that made sense Smile, Other than that pic number 1,2,4,6 and 7 are in their correct spot.

Sorry for the confusion and inconvenience Michael.

Regards

TJ
Back to top Go down
tjbhuler

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from malaysia   Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:39 am

Did another test run, this time I repositioned the speakers back by 1.5 ft for a total distance of 4.5ft from the center of speaker plane. Guess you can call this as a midfield setup Wink  (Initially it was 3ft from the center of speaker plane as suggested by Michael for nearfield setup) .

Followed the same position for the boxes as was described from my previous post (21/4/15).

Firstly I listened without introducing any of those boxes, my immediate impression was that everything moved forward the whole stage took a 4ft forward leap. Vocals was now at the center of my ceiling, neck was in an acute angle looking up at the vocals (70 degrees). Height of instruments playing raised by 1ft, now it is just above the speakers. Width gained by 1ft from the boundary of my speakers. Vocals and instruments everything sounded blurred and diffused with no defined edges. Bass was not tuneful (more of humming and less of beat).
This sounded awkward as I couldn't appreciate and follow the music being played. It sounded dull with no highs mostly midrange with those humming noises filling up my listening space.

So my immediate response was to introduce those magic boxes Laughing. Placing it in between the speaker plane left and right at approximately 15" from the base of speakers. Immediately the overall volume increased, vocal height dropped by 2ft, width was lesser than before, now it is from speaker to speaker. Vocals was still projected forward by 4ft towards me but now it got creepy half of the vocals was coming from behind my head Shocked . At times noting from front but all from behind, this is when I turn my head either left or right by 30 degrees. This is something that I am beginning to understand as from my experience from the nearfield setup previously was also as such. My self made SAM was placed at a distance of 12" (I moved it back by 2"as it was sounding weird from behind my head at 10").
Instruments,bass and vocals now was getting more focus with some highs being present in the music. Overall shape of the stage was more of a rainbow type and parallel with the speaker plane

Placing it directly at the sides of my speakers with a distance of 10" made it sound constricted, volume reduced but highs was slightly more than before vocals was high up glued to the center of my ceiling.
But the boxes managed to clear up some of those humming and muddiness of the bass. Moving the boxes behind by 2ft, increased the width of stage by 2ft but nothing sounded correct.
Overall shape of the stage was a Giant rainbow type and parallel with the speaker plane

I placed those boxes beside me toed in slightly, as if it was flanking me from left and right. My immediate response was the same as the nearfield setup, there was pressure build up around me. Playing music gave me a sense of presence behind and around me but nothing was clear. This kind of feel that I am getting is like when someone is standing beside or just behind you. You can sense their presence but can't make sure of it until you turn around and see it.

Overall with this "Midfield" setup the improvements heard was better with the boxes around but still it sounded weird as nothing was defined and clear. The overall presence of the music was like as if I was sitting right in front of the stage and looking up. The previous "Nearfield" setup sounded better than this current setup.

This overall and general effect that I am experiencing from "Nearfield and Midfield" is what I am looking for, but I just can't accept the fact that everything sounded dull, confuse, diffused and not defined, It is like I am constantly trying to understand where the sound of music is coming from for the vocals, instruments and stage rather than sitting down and enjoying the music.

From this exercise my understanding is that there is more flow of energy/pressure from the front to back of my listening space in comparison from the sides of my listening space. Well at least that is what I am feeling and hearing right now.

Maybe there is more to look for from the peripherals of my listening positions, which Michael could guide me to mess around with Smile.

Next I will be moving my speakers for a "Farfield" setup hopefully I will be able to have time next week to do so and describe it in my post. This weekend will be my local car audio competition cheers.

Regards

TJ
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from malaysia   Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:57 pm

This is fun, and guess what? I'm setting up my tile floor Room#3, which (you'll like this) has a stairway and also off shoots to the other parts of the house. No Soffits, but at least some of the parts of the two rooms (yours and mine) are similar.

Cool

Back to top Go down
tjbhuler

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from malaysia   Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:24 am

Hi Michael,

That is great Very Happy we are more or less in the same boat. Let me know what else needed for me to play around with.

I am considering also to get my dedicated line outlet done but before I get in to it, I need Michael's advice and guidelines to get it done from the distribution box up to the outlet.
Michael did mention regarding those cables that you can cook up for me, I am interested Smile.

Regards

TJ
Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from malaysia   Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:57 am

Greetings tjbhuler

How are the cardboard boxes doing in your system? You have had them for some two or three weeks now and in Sonic's experience, the closed down sound appears about around two weeks. The effect is a bit like the effect when ferrite clips are clamped on cables to supposedly eliminate RFI and clean up the sound but in Sonic's experience ferrite saps the life out of a system shutting down the inner detail.

Of course, your experience with the boxes might be a success. How's it going?

Sonic
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from malaysia   Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:13 pm

Hi TJ

Had a busy week of catch up so far.

Since you are planning to run your cables free from the wall, have you decided on a path from panel to equipment?

I have a fairly clear picture, but when you can, could you take start to finish photos and I will make the drawing to fit.

thanks

Back to top Go down
tjbhuler

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from malaysia   Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:02 am

Hi Michael, Sonic & fellow tuners

Sonic:
Been a busy week for me however great news is I am back and going all out with my cardboard positions tomorrow Very Happy as it is Labour Day and it is a well deserved public holiday given Laughing .

Michael:
Yes I have a clear path that I am going for from panel right up to the equipment and will upload the pics to your mail on the pathway. Thanks.

Regards

TJ

Back to top Go down
tjbhuler

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from malaysia   Fri May 01, 2015 4:54 am

Hi Michael and fellow tners,

After a period of relentless work for the past week today I had the whole day to move around my speakers and pick up from where I left. This time I pushed my speakers all the way back to my front wall (well not all the way  Laughing ) at 2.5 ft from the front wall.

As usual I listened first without any of those boxes around and first Impression the width of the stage was now equally spread out with some holes in between but not as bad in comparison with mid and nearfield setup. Speakers was not toed in. The focus on instruments and vocals was much better than before. Height dropped significantly to around 6ft now (no more at the level of soffit and ceiling) my neck was tilted up slightly but not tilted way up anymore as before (much more comfortable). The whole stage was no more a giant rainbow and banana stage and more of a 2D stage.
No more clustered sound around the speakers, instruments was overall spaced around, this sounded better. Everything sounded opened up but somewhat smaller and there was no immediate feel of the music like how the nearfield setup was. Everything sounded distant (well logically due to the speaker distance) volume dropped by around 5dB. Bass was much appreciated now very tuneful, the presence was felt and it gave a sense of fullness which is much needed in my setup.
However overall the tonality and the pitch went up, now everything sounded bright but also more detailed. The highs was more however midrange took a big hit everything sounded bright ear piercing and honky. Certain notes was overwhelmed by this high pitch and honky midrange. Vocals was very much affected by this. Overall the tonality I had during the midfield setup was more correct than nearfield and farfield.

Now I began to introduce the boxes into my listening field, firstly I placed those boxes in between my speakers  1.5 ft forward of my speaker plane (here the issue is I am unable to place my boxes at the same plane of my speakers as there was no space my amp was occupying that area).

Impression was immediate drop of vocal height from 6 ft to around 4 ft height but now everything sounded constrained/congested. There was a slight forward move of the center vocals also instruments at that center region. Tonality change slightly now it had less midrange pitch with a touch of dullness (details was affected here). Volume further dropped by around 1-2 dB, width was affected but not much certain instruments that was coming from speakers was now pulled out but not much. Focus was also affected now it was slightly smeared. I directed my boxes towards my sitting position, now this improved the overall clarity maintaining the forwardness and everything else, focus was still affected and this time had a sense of graininess.

As I had very little space behind my speakers so I placed only 1 box in the middle of the speakers behind it by 2 ft (behind my amp).

This gave an overall improvement in comparison to placing 2 boxes left and right slightly forward of the speaker plane directing towards me. The focus was better no graininess, center projection was there and that constrained or congested sound was lesser also volume gained by 2 dB. Bass was not affected hence it was tuneful and weightier. But the midrange pitch was still going strong Mad .

Now I couldn't place my boxes directly behind or beside (inner sides) due to space constraints, so I proceeded to place it at the outer sides and slightly forward spaced apart by 7".

Width got more now music was beginning to spread out from the speaker boundary left and right by 1 ft. Height was now back to 6 ft. No more forward projection back to 2D. Tonality was the same bright and honky. Focus was better than before same as my initial impression before introducing those boxes in.

I proceeded to place those boxes beside left and right of me as if it was flanking me. This time there was no effect, if there was it was negligible. The SAM that I had behind me didn't do much with this farfield setup. Moving it nearer by 8" away from the back of my head also didn't give me any effect that got my attention. It seems in my listening space the SAM and side boxes didn't gave any audible and a sense of response for a farfield speaker setup. But the sense of pressurised feel was there when I placed the boxes flanking me and moving my head forwards did give an opened up sense from my sitting position.However with music on there was no effect.

From here (if you have had the patience to read all that I have reported in so far Laughing ) there is a great difference from nearfield to farfield setup. The overall stage,tone and feel of the music changed like day and night. At times it felt like a totally different system I am listening to.
There are good pros and cons in each field setup will try to list out the points at a later time.

My next step will be moving my speaker closer to each other around 5ft apart with a distance of 9-10 ft from my sitting position and will gradually spread the speakers apart and report in my findings.

Regards

TJ
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from malaysia   Fri May 01, 2015 8:00 pm

Hi TJ

Not sure I got it right, check for me thanks

Lets do this if possible. When you send me a picture put a number or name on it. Then when you write "pic goes here", instead of that write "pic (matching number or title) goes here".

If not, I will will do pics as I recieve them and they get messed up order wise.

example

(box pic1) in my email

then in the post

Here's a look at...........

{place box pic1 here}

This will help. When I'm in post edit mode I'm not in read post mode, so I'm not looking at the context of the post at that time cause I'm doing all my drawing program work, which may mean 20 or so pics at the same time I'm working on TuneLand. After I get that work done then I get into TuneLand mode or listening or whatever I need to get done. Sometimes it takes me a minute to get focused in on the system I'm thinking about here (weird I know). What I do in my mind is put myself in your space and try to think about your setup as if it were mine.

So if you can do this for me it removes one layer of thinking for me. I'm kinda weird when it comes to focusing. It's not you but my weird ways.

thanks

Back to top Go down
tjbhuler

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from malaysia   Fri May 01, 2015 11:13 pm

Hi Michael

Understood Michael will do that in future, for the post above you got the pictures in correct order.

I will email you shortly for the pathway of my dedicated line from panel to the equipments.

Regards

TJ
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from malaysia   Sat May 02, 2015 12:09 am

Groovy thanks:)

Yep, for some reason my brain has to put on different hats depending on what I'm doing or thinking.

it's kinda like this inside my head king farao rendeer santa queen jocolor geek  then study  and finally scratch

somehow it all adds up to Cool

Back to top Go down
tjbhuler

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from malaysia   Sat May 02, 2015 12:35 am

Am trying to go about for my dedicated line currently I am using my source sharing with others (TV, decoder and blu-ray player). I am right now trying to find the shortest pathway for my dedicated line. Which is an estimated length of 35-36 ft. Anything shorter than that will involve lots of drilling through the walls, which I am trying to minimise.

Starting from my main panel as you can see the panel is located in my storeroom, planning to run the wires passing through the wall as seen from the picture above ( following the pvc tube seen in the picture above)

Here it will follow along into the soffits through the wall that has been drilled from the store room.

Here are the pictures seen inside of those soffits(sorry for the poor pic quality using flash doesn't give me the pic for entire length of the soffits Embarassed ). As you can see there are Led lights with bulbs (2 in total) which are running along those soffits. This is something that I am worried which may cause interference when I run those dedicated cables from the panels

The cables will end at the area where the brown cover of the foam is at, well slightly lower than that.

Hope Michael could chime in on this, as this is one of those areas I am pretty much clueless scratch . Michael did post on this matter (dedicated line) previously which I emailed him before (look up at page 4 on 4th of March).

Regards

TJ
Back to top Go down
tjbhuler

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from malaysia   Tue May 05, 2015 4:57 am

Hi Michael and fellow tuners

Had a good full day of playing around with my system. Got my speakers placed at a distance of 10 ft from the center plane of my sitting position and 5 ft apart between the speakers.

So I sat down took a deep breath (after a good workout lifting those 72 kg of each speaker) and listened. First take on this setup was a narrow soundstage with a very dense and sharp images. This focused image gave a good definition on each layout of instruments played on stage. Vocals sounded clear defined and had a good texture to it. Height dropped to around 3-4 ft of height, I am beginning to look down at the stage also now there are no holes in the stage. Stage width was speaker to speaker.
Bass was tight fast paced with good impact but no bottom end extension.
Somehow the tonality shifted up making it sounding bright and slightly compressed. However I liked what I am hearing with the presence of the texture that I am getting. It is like now I can actually "see" those images clearly and it feels very realistic no sense of guessing where the images are. Details was much more heard here such as puckering of the lips, drums snare all of this could be heard clearly.

But that is all that piqued my interest, after a good 30 minutes of listening caused me to loose interest to what I was hearing because it sounded relatively flat,lifeless and fatigue. There was no ambiance it was more of 2D-ish stage. There was no warmth very clinical/digital sounding which is a big no no in my textbook.

So I proceeded to separate the speakers by increasing the width to 7 ft between each other. Now things opened up stage was bigger yet focussed more airier. Holes in the stage was beginning to appear more towards the left side. Height was at around 5 ft slightly above my speaker level (listening from sitting position). This size of stage is more or less what I usually hear from other friends setup. The brightness was reduced to an acceptable level. This time tonally it sounded much better which was going more towards the neutral side.
Vocals took a slightly darker tone from previous setup, details was still good. That dense like sound from each instruments and vocals played reduced giving a more natural sounding and less compressed sounding. Now I can hear the placements of the instruments but that "see" is lesser (only certain notes that kicks in gives you that seeing ability Wink ).
Bass extensions was beginning to kick in however that tight and fast paced bass that I heard initially is now reduced.
Now the stage at this point starts to give in to that typical banana stage which is such a let down  Mad . Maybe introducing those "magic boxes" might be able to help this problem  Idea well that is something I will have to report in at a later stage.

I tried at 6 ft distance between the speakers but the difference was not so significant in comparison to 5 ft (more or less the same).

Going to 9 ft of speaker to speaker distance again correlates to what I have been hearing so far (5 ft to 7 ft changes). Stage took a bigger leap on size wise. Height was at 6-7ft, banana stage presence was clear but stage width began to increase and pass the speaker boundary by 0.5-2 ft (before this it was only confined between the speakers).
All of those dense like sounding instruments and vocals was reduced significantly causing the sound to loose it's texture. In comparison to what I heard previously now it sounds hollow as like how I was listening to a nearfield and midfield setup. Here I can listen to the stage and instruments placement but I am unable to see it anymore Sad . Holes in stage was also getting more and bigger appreciating that hollowness which i am hearing.
Bass did not change at all it was still retaining it's character as how it was at 7 ft.

From here with a sitting distance of 10 ft from the center of speaker plane and listening from 5 ft to 9 ft of speaker to speaker distance is exactly like using a camera trying to focus zooming in and out. As I start to spread the speaker distance everything became less saturated, dense, textured, details and less "see"-ing those images.
However what I gained was a bigger and wider stage, better tonality but then that drastic banana stage kicks in.

I will start to introduce those boxes for this 5,7 and 9 ft speaker distance and report in. I thought of compiling these findings with the "magic boxes" in but that will be a very long description to write and afraid might miss out some of my findings also.

Regards

TJ
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from malaysia   Tue May 05, 2015 5:40 am

Hi TJ

Hope I get some time today after I catch a little sleep. Want to work on your electric run drawing.

I think I know where that power box is but want to be sure.

Don't worry about the holes, we'll get those all filled in.

part of the fun Very Happy

hey do you like Foghat? I'm listening to "fool for the city" jammin

Cool

Back to top Go down
tjbhuler

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from malaysia   Tue May 05, 2015 10:30 am

Hi Michael,

No worries, sleep is that golden chain that ties health and our bodies together   Sleep . Problem is I can never get enough of it Laughing .

Have not heard of Foghat before will do a search and listen to it.

Regards

TJ
Back to top Go down

Greetings from malaysia
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 16Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 16  Next