Michael Green Audio Forum

http://tuneland.techno-zone.net

Our Website  HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Greetings from malaysia

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
AuthorMessage
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from malaysia   Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:46 am

Hi Tj

Can you also send me close up pics of the chinese partitions. I want to be sure we are speaking of the same materials.

In my thoughts of the soffits, based on what I'm hearing I would have covered all of them.

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from malaysia   Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:09 am

Sorry, couldn't help myself Cool

Had to see it in a black ash stain.

I want one Smile That is sweet looking.

Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from malaysia   Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:10 am

Hi tjbhuler

Looks like we are all at crossroads aren't we?

Michael -- have a look at my comments on Sonic's thread in relation to your prediction of Sonic's system.

Sonic
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from malaysia   Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:24 pm

here is a look at Tj's idea

They're certainly an option and I have gone down this route a few times when needing to divide areas. I believe everytime I did this I ended up designing and voicing my own dividers because the store bought ones ended up getting in the way. However exploring these types of things are how we learn.

It's kinda like listening to your two types of platforms. They both do good things but after a while you start to crave something different. I again went down this route before, but as I became a designer and began to voice I found that each year I matured and the previous products were learning curves for me and my listening.

One thing that has come a long way since moving here is voicing wood. Ten years, can you believe it Rolling Eyes I'm getting old Laughing . Things that I tried to do and learn back in the humidity were stuff that I spent hundreds of thousands on to figure out. Moving here allowed me to learn in days what took me years to do before. Still even here I've got wood types curing for long periods of time that go in and out of my rooms so I can research. Reminds me of when Coop was here on one of his first trips, I gave him a piece of wood to listen to, after I did 3 or 4 soft passes with a certain sand paper (by hand of course), he listened again Shocked and we spent the next week doing nothing but voicing.

Not saying that I always have the perfect product for you guys all the time, but when you tell me what you are hearing I'm able to envision a path. It may be turn you on to something else we have or even helps me to create a slightly different flavor. The more we mature together, the more I feel I'm able to get into your ears. It's kinda like you guys teach me how to teach you. Maybe it's more you guys teach me how to design in play a particular sound for you. In doing so I also try to make the sound variable. In my mind, I'm thinking Steinway or Yamaha, Gibson or Martin, Ludwig or Pearl.

So this is my somewhat long answer about the partitions. I don't know, they might be the cats meow or they might be another platform that has some good and some so so.

One thing I will do though as I get time is take those same pics of the room and do a few more options for you guys to see.

The music is there, we just need to find it. Plus it's a thrill for me to see how far we have come:!:

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from malaysia   Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:58 pm

Back to top Go down
tjbhuler

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from malaysia   Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:49 am

Hi Michael

I am loving those 3 pics above Very Happy . How do we go about it Question Wife is also giving the thumbs up for pic num 2 and 3. Something that is portable will definitely be doable as I can mobilize them when needed.

Regards

Tj
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from malaysia   Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:49 am

Hi Tj

I started checking on number 2 today. I sent you back an email.

It's very doable Exclamation

Cool

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from malaysia   Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:29 am

Hi Tj

Take a look at this.

They would be clamped together from the back, and then you could remove those clamps and put them in storage. We'd make the bases flush so they could be all fit together as a wall. 6' tall or even 7' no problem. The taller we make them the deeper and thicker we would make the bases for stablity.

The picture shows them in spice, but they can be spice, natural (like your PZC's) or black.

Cool

Back to top Go down
tjbhuler

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from malaysia   Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:52 am

Hi Michael

Looks nice and yes that is very much doable Very Happy . But you lost me there with the "spice" thing scratch . Could you elaborate more on it Question

It looks like I can separate it and use it as an individual PZC-FS once I move up to my room too. Am I correct on that assumption Question

Regards

Tj
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from malaysia   Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:20 am

Hi Tj

Spice is what we call the color in the picture.

Yes, these can be used in your next room.

Smile

Back to top Go down
tjbhuler

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from malaysia   Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:35 am

Hi Michael

Laughing understood, yeah this spice color itself will go very well with my deco. BTW what is the panel thickness and is there a burn side or will it be just as what the pic shows Question

Regards

Tj
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from malaysia   Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:06 pm

Hi Tj

The panels are 4" thick and you can put RT Pillows on the back for burn. This way you can choose how much burn you want to use if any.

Cool

Back to top Go down
tjbhuler

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from malaysia   Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:23 am

Hi Michael and fellow tuners,

Have been going through a bad flu for the past 4 days and things are not clearing up as fast as usual Rolling Eyes . Since my hearing is also affected due to the nasal blockage it is causing me to have difficulties listening to music.

However the tune will always keep on rocking cheers and for that I have been trying new ways to reduce those vibes creeping up to my equipmemts and draining those vibes coming from equipments too.

As seen from the pics above I have done some serious thinking on how to work up a way to reduce those vibes. Those black slabs are from my previous racks that I was using before those platforms came into the equation. Now I have tried few different arrangements before this and found that combining them did the job.

Before this the vibes creeping up my equipments was significant and I noticed that when I increase the pre amp vol the imaging starts
to smear. The thoughts of having more PZ now might have contributed with those vibes. But Sonic's input regarding those vibes dissipating around the listening area and moving up to the stairs is also something for me to ponder on.

So to find out where is the issue and how to fix it I decided to work on those vibes felt over my equipmemts first. With my previous encounter with those racks and platforms using those LTR's under my equipments I have gained some basic understanding on how does those vibes travel and how does it sound. So with this understanding I tried combining those black solid and heavy slabs from the racks placed under my equipments with those platforms sandwiched by using Michael's LTR.

How did it sound Question  well better than I could have imagine Laughing . I have managed to reduce those vibes travelling up to my equipmemts and managed to eliminate those smearing of my stage image when playing at higher volumes. The stage has also increased in height, width and depth. Space between each instruments has also gained . That forward projection is also now more than before. Everything seems to sound more focused yet effortless.

The tone seems to be less warm now in comparison when I was using just the platforms alone. I would not take that as a negative effect but more of a neutral feel towards it. As I am getting more details, no harshness and very tuneful bass. It feels like a veil has just been lifted off the stage. Yes this time there is no yin and yang going on only positive feedback.

I have also used those stainless steel metal cones from the racks with the base plate under my equipments. Applying it at the area that is the heaviest using 3 cones under my cdp and pre amp. I did try to apply under the amp but it seems to cause a thinning efect when listening, hence I abandoned any sort of footers under them.

There are few more combinatins that I have not tried yet and will do so in the next few days time. For now I need to get my hearing back in place as it is affecting my judgement and I do not want to make any more changes especially towards my PZC-fs and mec. So far I'm a happy camper here. Will give it a good settling period too before I make any changes on my newly born "rack come platforms"  Laughing

I have also hooked up Michael's T3 speaker cables but decided to stop first and make sure that this current setting has properly settle in before I venture into my next episode with the T3's. Very Happy

Regards

Tj
Back to top Go down
tjbhuler

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from malaysia   Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:11 am

Hi Michael and fellow tuners,

Update on my newly designed platforms Laughing .

After giving it a good 3 days of settling period and giving my ears a good rest I finally had a good listening day today. I am truly happy with what I have achieved so far with my new platform design. I would refrain myself from using the word isolation here because vibes are still felt but to a lesser extend over the equipments and more over the LTR's which is definitely channeling those vibes away from my equipments.

The results is simply stunning cheers everything sounds so effortless and open yet retaining the weight, body and texture from each note. Details can be heard so much more and clearly, giving me a very vivid yet rich sounding setup. The stage has also opened up in width, height and slightly in the depth department. Giving me a very nice rich, involving and a bigger stage. The bass is very tuneful and I can hear more lower notes, midrange is rich, round and full. The highs is very sweet, rounded yet detailed.

Imaging is not great so great yet as the edges and borders of each notes are not so defined, for now I can live with it. But not for long Cool  as I am beginning to like that defined image of certain instruments that I am getting. I will work on it but for now my aim is to get rid off those vibes creeping up to my equipments.

After a quick mail to ARC and my dealer it seems that removing those rubber footers under those equipments is not an issue as it will not void my warranty cheers . My dealer previously said that it will void the warranty but after further discussion with him last week only did I realise that he got it all wrong regarding what I was asking him before Laughing .

Next up will be the T3 speaker cables and jumpers in and my current cables out.

I will be also working on those speaker platforms since I have 2 boards of solid wood from my previous rack left untouched. Only problem is I am out of Michael's LTR blocks Rolling Eyes Any Ideas regarding this Michael what would you suggest Question

I will post up pics on those ARC rubber footers removed hopefully by tomorrow as I am tied up with some work which seems to be a never ending story for me Rolling Eyes .

Regards

Tj
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from malaysia   Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:11 am

Hi Tj

I like the direction your going. I'm also looking forward to what we might be able to do now that ARC has givin you a go ahead.

One thing to think about. The word isolate has never sat well with me because frankly I have never heard true isolation in any audio system. The term mechanical transfer makes a lot more sense, and when we look at the Vibes in this way we can start thinking of tuning them and not removing them. Must remember if you remove a vibe you are also removing a piece of the music. Think about that a while and see if that makes sense. What your components want on one hand is to be able to relax. Tensions means frequency shifts and clusters. On the other hand if the parts are vibrating Out-of-Tune with the signal the system can become disembodied in the stage. What you want is vibration, but vibration In-Tune with the parts.

Saying that, with tile floors it's common that the energy will make it's way to the tile and some of it returns up into the electronics. This depends on the type of tile and what is underneath it. Because of this, building a good platform arrangement that has a good balance of frequency exchange can send your components into super performance mode.

Personally there are tons of things I would try with the components but even thinking about it hurts my back, ouch affraid

:study:but I am studying the moves as your doing them and if I come up with something easy to do I will tell you.

One thing I would be interested in hearing is you sliding card stock under your speakers and components and getting your feedback. If card stock is too thick you can go all the way down to 20 pound bond paper. Paper can act as a good dielectric if your tile is picking up electromagnetic static.

Here's what you do. Get some static cling sheets, and rub the paper with it, and slide the paper between the floor and whatever is sitting on the floor. Even note book paper can work for a quick test. I've seen this do nothing and I've seen it do amazing things. Technically your slightly rearranging the electron exchange between surfaces. Like I said sometimes nothing, but with heavier components especially sometimes it's interesting.

Don't tell anyone, cause I don't want to get called a snake oil guy Laughing but I have even gone as far as rubbing charged walls and floors with these static cling sheets. Sometimes nothing, and other times the soundstage will fill in, in difficult rooms. I don't know how often someone would have to do this if it works and I have not needed to try this in a while.

Energy is the coolest thing to play with Cool

this is pretty cool looking

Back to top Go down
tjbhuler

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from malaysia   Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:06 pm

Hi Michael

Mg said :

One thing I would be interested in hearing is you sliding card stock under your speakers and components and getting your feedback. If card stock is too thick you can go all the way down to 20 pound bond paper.

I will try to find the right size for the speakers and components I have some at my workplace will try to snatch some they are A4 in size paper and look into those cardstock. Is there any particular thickness that I need  Question

Mg said :

Paper can act as a good dielectric if your tile is picking up electromagnetic static.

Now that is something I never thought of before Shocked. Talking about static my carpet gives out some static charge when I am kneeling/sitting down on it. It is not much but enough to excite my hairy legs Laughing .

Regards

Tj
Back to top Go down
tjbhuler

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from malaysia   Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:25 am

Hi Michael and fellow tuners

Been a while since I updated on my progress but rest assured the tuning force is strong with me Laughing . Well it is "Star Wars" fever here in Malaysia for the past week.

I have sent few pics to Michael on my footers and the undersurface of my cdp and preamp. I have removed them and am using a small screw secured with a hex washer. It is placed on a base plate which is resting on my rack boards which is made of solid wood. Those screws that I placed into those footer holes are made out of platinum which i got from an audiophile friend of mine.

So far I am very impress with what I have achieved please read my previous post on my impression with my newly designed plarforms. In addition using those screws inserted now makes what I have described previously even more grander. More updates on it will be posted soon on this.

I have placed those 20 pound bond papers under my speakers today and am hearing something different that I will report in anther few days time. Well it is not exactly 20 pounds(74gms) but more of 22(80gms) pounds. Let the fun begin.

Michael is there any thickness preference used for those bond papers Question As of now it is around  0.75 inches thick using A4 size.

Regards

Tj
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from malaysia   Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:34 am

Hi Tj

I was talking about one sheet, but am interested with the thicker stack you have.

Did you say you sent pictures?

Back to top Go down
tjbhuler

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from malaysia   Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:17 pm

Hi Michael

Laughing Laughing  well since I have it might as well play around with different thickness.

Yup I emailed you twice 1st was for my cdp and the 2nd one for my pre amp. As of now I am using a threaded screw and hex washer to secure it into those holes of my cdp and pre from which I removed those stock rubber footers. These screws that I have inserted and hex washer are made out of platinum and am experimenting with different kind of metals that I can get my hands on. So far I only have stainless steel cones and base plates which was from my previous rack stand and it has definitely improved the whole presentation of the music produced as I have described in my previous post.

I am trying to get a comparison of sound (tonal change and character) and stage using different materials of footers under my equipments.
I also have some ebony and rosewood cone footers with its matching base plate but I will reserve that for a later date. I will work on my amp too but it is just too heavy for me to flip it and remove those rubber footers. Also I am not sure those footers are able to withstand the weight of my amp  Rolling Eyes .  

It has been long enough and I want to start using the T3 cables. So I will give it another few days for those screw and hex nut with the base plate to settle in and then I will start to introduce the T3's.

So many things to do yet I am always pressed for time, hopefully next week I will have good time as it is Christmas and New Year mode so work will be much lesser.

Regards

Tj
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from malaysia   Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:07 am

Thanks Tj

will post them soon

Cool

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from malaysia   Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:11 am

Tj said

Above, footer pics and CDP. Below, are the pre amp pics as you can see there is a screw threaded into those rubber footers holes which I have removed and it is secured with a hex washer. The screw threaded in is resting on that base plate pic.

below pre amp undersurface pics

Christmas border colors supplied by santa

Back to top Go down
tjbhuler

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from malaysia   Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:07 am

Hi Michael

Thanks for the uploads looks pretty cool with those borders in Smile .

Regards

Tj
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from malaysia   Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:42 am

Hi Tj

Could you ask Kevin if the screw holes are 1/4" 20 threads?

thanks

rendeer rendeer

Christmas is almost here Exclamation

Back to top Go down
tjbhuler

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from malaysia   Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:20 am

Hi Michael and fellow Tuners,

Yes I have asked Kevin regarding those screw sizes and am still awaiting for his reply guess it's Christmas mood so will await for his reply.

Moving on to the tunes I have inserted previously those 20 pound bond paper under my speakers well it was around 0.75" thick. After a good 2 days of settling in it was time for an audition. My straight up answer is that it did not fare well with my speakers as I found the stage shrunk and vocals sounded recessed. Tonal wise it took a downward shift making everything sounding dull. High extensions were gone and bass sounded wooly. The edge and definition of each notes was also dulled out giving a blurry image.

So I took it out and inserted only 1 sheet of paper under the speakers and with immediate effect everything sounded slightly bright with more of midrange glare and harsher highs, As for the bass it was back to normal tuneful giving a very nice round bottom notes. A slightly more details heard but by this point I guess ear fatigue was kicking in and I might not be too sure if this details was heard correctly or was it due to the harshness.
The stage came back to my usual size which was much appreciated but the depth was lesser giving a slight recessed vocals it was not too much as in comparison when using 0.75" thickness but nonetheless it was there. All in all with these bond paper it made a difference in my setup but it was not sounding as good or better than without them under my speakers.

Now after removing them and readjusting back those PZC fs and mec I gave a solid 30 mins of listening to get my ears accustomed to what I have been hearing previously. After that It was time to introduce the T3's in Very Happy . Yes finally the T3's are in and I am extremely impressed with Michael's cables. Now before that what got me all excited with my Transparent ultra MM2 speaker cables was that it had weight and nice smooth highs with beautiful sounding midrange vocals which complemented those Arc's and Guarnieri's beautifully. At that time I had different brands of cables at my disposal to try out with these equipments (Nordost, Siltech, Wireworld and Vdh) of course I was not happy with the prices quoted just to get the best combination. I was always keeping my taste within the budget that I had allocated for. Finally it was the Transparent that won me over the others.

Now with the T3's in, once the first note from SRV's  "Tin Pan Alley" guitar kicked in I knew that I am in for a very pleasant ride and true enough after 1 hour of running in I was not disappointed. That realistic feel of those notes was so so amazing I mean I could feel it more than ever. The stage never shrunk or grew bigger it was still the same as before but I could hear more details of the recordings. I mean now I can appreciate what sort of room or studio those music were being played and recorded. This was very noticeable with Norah Jones and Carla Werner recordings. Now the T3 did something that I had only heard when I was auditioning my setup with Transparent and Nordost cables(Valhalla,Odin, Ref xl and Opus). And that is the guitar notes and drums notes seems to be flying out from the speakers I mean I can sense clearly them floating around the stage and towards me. Everything sounds so intimate and that is how I like it Laughing .

Of course it has just run in for a few hours and there is always some hiccups heard here and there. First is the midrange which seems to be slightly bright and glaring also the highs are slightly harsh sounding.The bass is thinned out by a slight margin. Giving an overall leaner sounding tone in my setup. I am not too worried about it as from Michael's previous notes and from Sonic's description that it will improved in a matter of days where music will open up and those notes will start to fill up.

Now placing them in my setup is a slight challenge because of space constraints also it is slightly longer than my previous cables. So a compromise had to be made as you can see it from the pics above. Michael please do let me know the do's and dont's with the T3's  Question

Good times are here and I am enjoying the tunes more than ever. More report on the T3's will be given as I let them run in.

Regards

Tj
Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from malaysia   Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:23 am

Hi tjbhuler

Your experience with the paper parallels Sonic's. Notably similar the results and observations.

Sonic
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from malaysia   

Back to top Go down

Greetings from malaysia
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 13 of 16Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next