Michael Green Audio Forum

http://tuneland.techno-zone.net

Our Website  HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Tuning CDP's

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Tuning CDP's   Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:39 am

These are a few of the names. When I think about how many CDP's I have tuned, both recent and past the list becomes endless.

maybe it's time to give this topic it's own thread

Above is a pic of Harold in our jungle of rotating units, as well as a pic with a few of them in my room number two.

study

Back to top Go down
ChrisS

PostSubject: Other dvd players?   Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:42 am

Hi Michael!
Do you consider the Mag 2100 the "one", or are there others? I have the Sony DVP-SR510H which sounds way better than the NAD, Rotel, and Linn Genki that I've used in my system. I haven't had a really good look around the shops here, but on-line the Mag 2100's listed on eBay are mostly over $60 including shipping. So I'm wondering if there are other players to look for...?

Thanks!
Chris
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Tuning CDP's   Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:31 pm

Hi Chris

Here are the approved Magnavox CDPs that we have been using for the low mass tuning you've been reading about.

I wouldn't venture outside of this camp, as you may not get that CD warmth and deep bass. None of the other brands I have tested do what these do.

The price of these units will more than likely continue to go up.

good luck shopping

Back to top Go down
ChrisS

PostSubject: Thanks, Michael!   Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:51 am

I have a local hit for a Magnavox MDV3000 for $50, looks like the MDV2300 but with HDMI connectivity. Should I try it, or is the HDMI going to present some problems?

Thanks again,
Chris.
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Tuning CDP's   Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:25 am

Hi Chris

I haven't used the 3000 before, or seen the inside so I don't know how similar the circuitry is. I do know that even units that are close but not these units I mentioned don't have the same sound. My guess would be that the 3000 has a different design inside, but that's a guess.

Let me know if I need to send you one.

Back to top Go down
ChrisS

PostSubject: Tuning CDP's   Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:13 am

Hi Michael,
If I don't see any of the recommended Magnavox's you mentioned above, I might pick up the MDV3000, open it up and show you the insides to see what you think...

Thanks again,
Chris.
Back to top Go down
ChrisS

PostSubject: Magnavox MDV3000   Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:29 pm

Hi Michael,
I've picked up the MDV3000. Without doing too much, removing the case and loosening the screws and wires, I can already hear that it's much better than the Sony. I can't seem to download a photo of the insides of this player for you... I'll figure that out some day. If you ever get one, please let me know what you think.
Back to top Go down
ChrisS

PostSubject: Also changed the interconnect   Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:54 pm

I've also discovered that the AudioNote interconnect I was using on the player was obscuring the music! A Kimber PBJ interconnect that I happened to have does a much better job!
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Tuning CDP's   Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:36 am

Hi Chris

Let me know when you are ready for Picasso. Ray's are good cables to play with though since you already have them there. Ray's a great guy!

something to think about

On Ray's ICs, unscrew the barrel and move it away from the RCA end. See how you like that. What I did when I had Kimber was snip off the barrel with metal shears. Make sure you like the sound first. Also, thanks for the report on the comparison. It always helps when others post the comparisons, so as not to get me in trouble with any designers Wink

Once folks start tuning they obviously look at the hobby differently and as things open up it's easy to detect products that are causing blockage, like what you have in comparing Ray's cables vs Audio Note's.

study

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Tuning CDP's   Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:56 am

If I run across a MDV3000 cheap I'll snag one.

Back to top Go down
ChrisS

PostSubject: Tuning CDP's   Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:01 am

Thanks, Michael!
Other than picking up the Magnavox player, I'm going to hold off on getting any of your products because I'm pretty stuck with the way my stereo system is configured, which is with the tv system in the living room. With lots of furniture and stuff, I can't even lay out the speakers and each component properly or dress any of the wires and cables so they don't cross over each other. But even with some of your suggestions, I'm finding quite a substantial difference in the sound! In the meantime, I'll play with the barrels on each of the interconnects to see how that affects the sound.
Hope to join you in full tuning some time soon!
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Tuning CDP's   Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:43 am

Laughing

Hi Chris

When I wrote my post I was laughing because it sounded like a MG sells pitch. I hope folks know that my only pitch is for them to explore what the hobby of listening has to offer. I hope you never feel like buying MGA has anything to do with my excitement for your tuning journey. Shoot, if it was up to me, I'd send my designs out for free to everyone and fill up all my time referencing music with you guys.

I'm sure you already know this because of our posting back and forth over the years. I very much enjoy your posting, partially cause I can envision so many audiophiles at home who have bought into the equipment game passing up the most important aspects of this hobby. Sometimes I wish TuneLand was live and real time so listeners could see the fun that goes on between me and other Tunees behind the scenes. Tonight for example I was on the phone with 2 Tunees and another Turntable fella as well as PMing on facebook answering questions. In between all of that I was previewing my latest wire design (wishing I could speed up burnin) Laughing

Let me know what you think of the barrel removal, and always, Always, ALWAYS know you are part of the family Very Happy

PS: wanted to share this. I was talking to an audiophile the other day, and as we were chatting he stopped me and said "your a nice guy, I'm surprised" he followed it up with "I've heard you were a real audio tough guy". We laughed for a bit, as he was telling me I was nothing like my reputation of calling out the industry. I have always gotten a kick out of the images people paint, before and after meeting me.

Back to top Go down
ChrisS

PostSubject: Tuning CDP's   Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:47 pm

Hey Michael,
I totally get it! cheers Even under such restrictive conditions, the sound of my system has improved significantly just from your suggestions and the information I've gotten from your site and following what you do with other Tunees and watching what happens with their journeys. I don't feel at all that anything's a sale pitch, just a journey in discovering sound. And I much appreciate that you make everyone feel welcome and a part of a very dynamic family!
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Tuning CDP's   Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:14 am

Yep, it's fun stuff, that's for sure.

study

Back to top Go down
ChrisS

PostSubject: Unscrewing the barrels...   Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:15 pm

Hi Michael,
I tried unscrewing the barrels on the PBJ interconnect and found that the sound really opened up, but the bass became very indistinct, like a wall of bass in front of all the other sounds! There's so much stuff in the living room (carpets, books, records, heavy furniture, drapes, paintings, etc.), I don't have a chance to tune the room. My system is mostly Linn, so I went back to a Linn interconnect, unscrewed the barrels, and got a more "contained" sound, which is ok for now. My music for referencing was Miles Davis "Kind of Blue", Bill Evans "Some Other Time", Vince Guaraldi "A Charlie Brown Christmas (tis the season!), Cecilia Bartoli "Arie Antiche", and since the MDV3000 is a dvd player, I watched Ridley Scott "Blade Runner- The Director's Cut". I also listened to some Brian Eno "Ambient", etc. and had fun with an almost "spatial" sound, almost floor to ceiling and wall to wall!!
The player BTW is sitting on some 2.5" squares of light birch plywood. What I might do is find a MDV2100 and compare the sound to the 3000.

I also tried unscrewing the barrels of the interconnect on my McIntosh MR74 tuner and as well the whole sound became too indistinct!
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Tuning CDP's   Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:26 am

Yep, sounds like the system wanted to break out of it's shell a little on you. It's good that your finding the synergism and able to dialing things back that get unruly. It's easy to unbalance things if your not able to do all 3 parts of the audio trilogy at the same time. Saying that though, Linn is a really good brand for using closer to the wall (if it's a good sounding wall). They are one of my favorite "method" brands. I wasn't a Linn dealer for long, but really enjoyed their camp. Always nice to talk to designers who know where they want to go and know how to get there. I've tuned a lot of Linn systems. If I were not a crazy man Linn would no doubt be on my short list. There are so many systems that when placed close to the wall they sound horrible, Linn is not one of them. I find Linn systems very easy to listen to once that gel happens.

Great music Exclamation what an awesome line up Exclamation

Is that Blade Runner 2049? The original is one of my favorite movies. I'm afraid to watch the new one Neutral

Back to top Go down
ChrisS

PostSubject: Blade Runner   Yesterday at 2:06 pm

That was one of the versions of the original Blade Runner. I have just acquired "Blade Runner- The Final Cut", a version released in 2007 that Ridley Scott actually had a hand in remastering and re-editing. Highly recommended!!
Blade Runner 2049 will definitely not disappoint, although I would be curious to hear what you might have to say about the sound of this new movie...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tuning CDP's   

Back to top Go down

Tuning CDP's
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1