Michael Green Audio Forum

http://tuneland.techno-zone.net

Our Website  HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Stereophile, the other side of the hobby

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Stereophile, the other side of the hobby   Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:13 am

Hi Members & Visitors

As many have seen, I've been posting on Stereophile forum for the last 2 years. During this time I have learned much about the hobby that maybe I didn't know before or maybe I didn't want to think was possible.

Last night I sent an email to JA expressing that I was going to limit my involvement due to the unethical practices going on there, mainly the permitting of internet trolling.

Over this period of introducing a different or new layer to the Phile I've become aware that there is a comfort zone that Stereophile has been acustom that is outside of what I would consider the norm of a hobby based on listening to music. This comfort zone has nothing to do with music at all or very little. Taking a step back and looking over these threads and posts, I found myself in a Stereophile hobby that is all it's own. Trying to wrap my mind around this is more than a challenge, it's impossible. Am I viewing the end of JG Holt's dream, or was it always destined for Stereophile to have this concept of the hobby? A concept that is more marketing than discovering music.

One would think that Stereophile ultimately would be that piller of light that would never dim, and I personally have experienced their breaking through at least momentarily, but now I see the end is near, or at least never to reach it's potential.

There are a few comments made to me by members, on the Phile threads, here on TuneLand and mostly by emails that have suggested the Stereophile Forum as a whole has been a big disappointment.

Even today the forum is asked about it's relevance.

"3) Too much drama, immaturity, and self-serving posts exist. At my advanced age, I'm still not mature, but I, naively, never expected to find so many sensitive hobbyists here.

4) As our audio hobby has gone, apparently, so has this internet version ... there's hardly anybody here. Is that because of this particular site or too few enthusiasts with the time to spend, on-line, here?"

The interesting part about this to me, is that editor of Stereophile JA took the time to answer numbers 1 and 2 of this members thread but never touched 3 and 4 which I just posted here. This has been the common theme ever since I started reading the forum. To me, it seems that the "trolling" part of Stereophile is encouraged not discouraged.

the game goes like this

As soon as someone comes up and starts talking music & listening the Stereophile audio trolls come out in force to create disingenuity among anyone supporting listening as the means to an answer for better listening. Unethical as this may seem, over half of the general threads end in this downward spiril....

.....as if the magazine's forum uses this as a tactic to market more goods.

crazy Question maybe not

If the forum is focused on an answer never given, it can can push more sales over the hobby settling for successful listening.

If you look at the threads you will find 90% unsuccessful attempts at system setups, and when someone starts to explore the "why" this is happening, within a very short time that member disappears from the forum.

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Stereophile, the other side of the hobby   Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:50 am

There's something not right about an audio forum that can't reference together.

Do you know there has only been 2 listeners to start music referencing threads at Stereophile in the last few years, maybe ever? One of them is me, and the other is from a member inspired by me doing so.

The members of the phile do everything in their power to avoid the very thing that TuneLand loves to do. How can a forum based on listening to music do the exact opposite?

Everytime someone ask a question about music or their system, what do I say? Describe what you are hearing. The Stereophile forum is almost completely void of that question. When it comes to component recommendations the Phile is all ears and speaks of current in production models of equipment. For a forum where most of the members are over 50 you very rarely see the Stereophile audiophile recommending something off the old menu. This for me is beyond shock, it's complusive buying behaivor 101.

Is it one of the reasons the Phile has turned into a posting graveyard? One has to look at the component section. More importantly, there is something else to look at. Stereophile has no "listeners" section. There are rants, there are tweaks, there are newbies, but no forum for the experienced arrived audiophile. There's no "listening methods" at all (past the newbie) being practiced on Stereophile.

you see the forums

Tweaks 'n' Tips

Getting the best from your audio system doesn't have to involve spending a lot of money. Let us know how you "fine-tune" your sound.

Room "Tuning" & Acoustics

The room is the most overlooked component. Tell us both your horror stories and how you worked with your room to get great sound.

But if you come up to Stereophile and talk about the very method of tuning, you are flamed & trolled. Also as a personal note, notice that in the recommended components section you don't see the biggest most widely used of the tuning products, us, re-printed. MGA/RoomTune in fact is the most recommended product line used still as the standard in articles and reviews, yet no where to be found in the re-print sections. After us asking several times to please put it in directly to the editor of Stereophile, we have been greeted with no response. Not re-prints nor even a response? Is it possible that the "fine tuning" crowd isn't as welcome as it should be? Is Stereophile willing to become an uninhabited island because no serious listeners want to come up and be a part of a forum that never gets out of beginner buy 1st gear? Almost everything (besides a couple of nice guys) I have seen, points to Stereophile not wanting to go beyond the buying revolving door.

Can a high end audio forum survive, without pushing the "method of tuning"?

There comes a time when the seasoned audiophile considers the possibility that there has been a bit of brainwashing going on. How is it possible to do the amp of the month club for so long without loosing credibility? The only way is if the reviewers never truly move past plug & play themselves and set the standard of high end listening to never get past the beginner level, and then begin to squeeze.

Ignorance is bliss and when you read the Phile and ask about the systems, you can almost feel the wall go up. Some how the mainstream of the high end audio world never moved beyond the purchasing stage, and when there is a sound problem the HEAA (high end audio audiophile) is persuaded that another purchase of the same thing will produce the correction. It's the classic upward sale based on fluff. The dollar sign goes up, and the weight goes up, and with this the guilt of buying up is put into action. Eager hobbyist buys all the way up then leaves the hobby quietly in frustration.

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Stereophile, the other side of the hobby   Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:36 am

You see, everything was great when you started the hobby of listening. The hobby for you got to the place where you discovered the soundstage and life was good. Realizing that the artist painted a picture for you to listen to took you to a level of music enjoyment that went beyond casual listening, and the hunger began.  

Looking at stereo equipment became an interest all on it's own and you found that many designers were making products with great claims of musical magic. These products were not found in the normal stereo stores, but smaller salon type places ran by hobbyist turned store owners. That's when you saw them for the first time. One named The Absolute Sound and the other Stereophile. These were the 2 magazines that gave notice to the high end audio movement. In time these magazines became monthly issues and as each issue came out we heard about something new.  The growth of this branch of the hobby happened over night, and in short order became some 250,000 strong. Before too long there were so many products Stereophile decided to come out with their recommended components lists.

The audiophile club prided itself as the elitist of the hobbyist. You had the big buck clan, and the classical clan. The Krell guy and the Audio Research guy. Particular listening camps sprung up all over the place, and with this the audio EGOs would be in full swing. At first it was fairly easy to do component matching because there was usually one or two types of accepted music, usually jazz & classical in one camp and the rest in another. You had listeners commonly call their system a jazz system, or rock, or classical....on. A little bit later the hobby pushed itself into discrete components with no tone controls claiming to be the next step in purity.

The hobby went along like this for a while till a listening wall was hit. The components became so specialized they only worked in a handful of system setups and only played certain music with a high level of clarity. Stereophile and the other magazines never stopped to explore this problem and pushed their way through a whole generation or two of listeners still not understanding the basics of recording.

famous producer Alan Parsons says

But these words fly right over the heads of the Stereophile forum. One of the overwhelming signatures of the Stereophile forum is the lack of soundstage performance. The "club" is no where to be found on the Phile. It's like the 70's through mid 90's never existed. If you mention the recorded soundstage the response back is "it's not all about soundstage". Further if you mention the recorded code and even explain that the recorded code is the recording itself, no one gets it. Some of the more vocal members challange the term as if there is no code put on the storage.

The Stereophile forum Club is miles away from the Audiophile Club. Some are so removed from the hobby that they say (no kidding) I'm not an audiophile. They don't believe R2R, Pro, recorded collecting and the many others are even a part of the Audiophile Club.

let me give you some examples of their departure

On threads concerning acoustic treatment, the highest the members go is toe in. Members only using headphones giving in-room system advice. Again I'm not Kidding scratch Members who don't believe "the loudness wars" has anything to do with volume. Others recommending components they have never heard. Members saying they have 300 CD's and only 10 sound good. Other members saying the reason their systems won't play those CD's is because their system is too revealing. Remind you, they're saying they're "system is perfect" so perfect music sounds "crappy" on it.

One member only quotes what reviewers say as their opinion of sound. The reason for this they say is so that they don't violate the forums rules (there's no such rule of course). The list of examples is never ending, and only twice have I seen someone actually listening and explaining their soundstage.

The Audiophile Club has certainly left the pages of Stereophile.

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Stereophile, the other side of the hobby   Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:10 am

Now above I share the hobbyists disappointments with the Stereophile Forum, but these are not the worst. You think that the lack of progression would be reaching the bottom for any audio forum, but if you want your credibility to be completely whiped out, there's one sure way to do it.

Stereophile is loosing more participants than any audio endeavor I have ever seen. It's inconceivable that Stereophile has embraced internet trolling. We're not talking just any audio internet trolls but the very worst of the worst. The trolls that are not allowed on the other audio forums, even as rough as AA, have been right at home as the most visible members on the Stereophile forum. I've had several dozen members tell me of their discuss and mentioning it to John A has absolutely no affect. Every day you run into someone disappointed in the way Stereophile has turned over it's pages to true scum. If I were JA I'd hire an editor to go up and salvage the pages, cause they have been trashed.  

I sent an email off to John A, but no reply as of yet. Truly tragic to see a hobby forum of fun turned into a hobby of misery. To me it looks like the slow death of once a great event.

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Stereophile, the other side of the hobby   Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:01 pm

How is it that audio forums reduce themselves to crash and burn threads? You don't see this on TuneLand. The well rounded audiophile is someone who opens themselves up to the entire hobby. Without this like with any other hobby words replace action, and the soundstage suffers for lack of "knowledge" & "experience".

let me give a quote from a Stereophile forum member

"I use mockery in arguments when mockery is called for as when I am debating someone like you who has apparently been living in a cave all his adult life. Anyone who cannot hear the difference between tape and CDs deserves to be mocked. Anyone who thinks that dynamic range can be controlled by the volume knob deserves to be mocked. Anyone who cannot remember what anyone on this forum said in the course of a discussion deserves to be mocked. A person who intentionally OR unintentionally misquotes, mischaracterizes or distorts another person's statements deserves to be mocked. A person who doesn't know what vibration isolation actually in loves deserves to be mocked. A person who has never heard of the Intelligent Chip, silver rainbow foil, Mpingo discs, Shakti Stones, Brilliant Pebbles, the Teleportation Tweak, wire directionality, mu metal, aftermarket fuses, and a host of other audiophile tools of the trade deserves to be mocked. Besides I have the WORLD's LOWEST MASS audio system. I beat you at your own game. Na, na, na, na, na! I never said I wasn't a troll. Don't act so surprised. Deal with it."

and now one from a member on TuneLand

"The sad thing is in our hobby, there is also often a mean-spirited tone in discussion as you can see in the “dialog” on many Forums.  You can read the Harbeth User Group and find examples of this.  Michael’s Techno-Zone is remarkably free of this.  Sonic hopes that we stay this way and avoid the diatribes we see elsewhere.

One thing Sonic is grateful for being pointed to the HUG thread on analog is about idler wheel turntables and the high rumble inherent in their design. Sonic was considering a well-known idler wheel design to substitute my Rega and I am going to rethink this given the high rumble levels characteristic of these idler wheel devices which will reduce resolution of the music in analog form that we love further.

Right now, Sonic has a Musical Heritage Society LP of Aaron Copland’s Nonet for Strings and Two Pieces for String Quartet – St Luke’s Chamber Ensemble (Dennis Russell Davies cond) playing on the Rega. The sound tonight is warm and glowing.  All is well with the Tune."

The first, spews as many internet trolling tactics as they possibly can, fires off his usual list of things no one has ever tried and appreciated (a complete lie of course) Then at the end takes pride in being an internet troll.

The second quite different, describing how many audio forums waste time on being mean spirited, then jumps into thoughts about components, and then onto the listening for the evening.

In a way similar messages (not really) with totally different attitudes and ranges of depth, but the biggest difference once you get past the messages, the second gets right into the hobby of listening.

The Stereophile member ends with "I never said I wasn't a troll. Don't act so surprised. Deal with it."

And the TuneLand member ends with "Right now, Sonic has a Musical Heritage Society LP of Aaron Copland’s Nonet for Strings and Two Pieces for String Quartet – St Luke’s Chamber Ensemble (Dennis Russell Davies cond) playing on the Rega. The sound tonight is warm and glowing.  All is well with the Tune."

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Stereophile, the other side of the hobby   Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:45 pm

It's a mistake to take music out of context, and when you try to divide the hobby of listening into unnatural theories, no matter how mystical they might sound or how well promoted, you will end up unsuccessful.

You will never master music through components. You can only master music when the component becomes the music. Why is TuneLand harmonious? Because we are not forcing the music. We're not squeezing the audio signal into something it isn't. Why are other forums fighting? Because they are putting faith in the impractical, always trying to fool the music signal. What I see on the Stereophile forum is the same I see on many, people so needing their hobby to be complicated (engineered) that they divide when they should be uniting.

Audio is not a component, it's a method. Stereophile looses the interest of the audiophile because it's trying to be high end audio instead of "complete" audio. Complete audio is combining acoustical, mechanical and electrical not separating. When Stereophile is presented with the method they go nuts flaming, instead of "doing" the hobby of listening and learning the structure of harmony. Somewhere along the way high end audio got off track, putting their faith in discrete and separation, instead of the simplicity of "complete harmony".

Complete harmony can not be taught by talking, only by experiencing. The reason is as simple as music itself. Music is a whole. Music is first the space you play it in and the ears (body) you hear it with. Music is a code of values that represent the whole. Recording is capturing that whole as a unique event (recorded code). Playback is introducing that set of values to the room to play.  Interest is lost on any music forum if you are not able to talk about and do music first. There's no faking music. The faking comes in with the listener not the music.

There's no reason to fight over music. You either get it and understand the method of tuning, or you live in an incomplete set of teachings. From what I read on Stereophile it looks like a bunch of guys who have reached a certain level and stalled because the leaders of high end audio have failed to go that next step and so the trusted reviewers or whoever can't take their club any further. As a result thousands of highenders are stuck in a lie to proud to admit the lack of success. It's easier for them to get in fights with others, but it's really just a reflection of their own incomplete hobby. Some have gone 50 or so years never being taught the uniqueness of recordings in a practical sense, thinking that recordings do a good or bad thing according to their system that only is providing one sound. This teaching has built a fundamental flaw into high end audio, and no one wants to speak up about it. This flaw will die with this generation of reviewing and some components and even some forums. When it does Tuning your audio system will once again become the norm.

The disappointing thing for me is that I'm not able to give tuning it's proper voice on the Stereophile forum and without this, unless someone else makes the charge, the Stereophile forum will continue to fade. Plug and play is almost a dead animal and without more flexibility the high end part of this hobby will be replaced with a much simpler form.

it's peaceful on TuneLand for one reason, we're having fun

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Stereophile, the other side of the hobby   Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:47 pm

When reading the Stereophile forum often my mind says why would someone stay stuck in a hobby that has all the answers they want, if they spent the time "doing"?

Recently I've become a little busy so it means choosing where best to spend my time wisely. The Phile forum is one of the first things that needed to be backed away from. Why? Wouldn't the Phile be this great place to go TuneLand fishing? The answer should be, yes of course, but this is not the case, at least not with most of the members who post.

lets take a recent thread

http://www.stereophile.com/content/empirical-guy

you see the problem quickly I know, and you would be correct

Almost every thread on Stereophile goes the same way. The threads end up with no answers. It's also easy to see why there are none. Stereophile represents the type of audiophile that doesn't "do" the hobby and therefore is not able to take themselves and further than audio myths, spins and no conclusion theories. In other words the posters end up talking themselves out of finding out, when all they would really have to do is take their hobby to the next level. They, as you can see, build a case for unsuccessful listening. I've backed away with the temptation to jump in a few times but have resisted so I can read how the cycle plays out, again.

You as an outsider looking in can see how & why the TAS and Stereophile audiophile gets stuck, as many of you have moved on, but it is interesting to watch the S/TAS hobbyist almost on purpose stick their foot in the bucket of glue and letting it dry, becoming a part of their lives listening history instead of treating where they are at, as one step of many. It's exciting for me to see some of these guys start to make that step, but as fast as they do, many times you see them run back to their comfort zones of not exploring. Of course many of us reading this were a part of that world before finding our wings to freedom.

So what does the guy who has moved beyond the sticky say to his fellow listeners standing in the glue they themselves poured?

The very first thing I would think is that these posters would stop and look around to see there's no one there anymore, as we have mentioned. Mr. Must Do Audiophile has moved on to find more advanced and complete ways to enjoy the hobby. Any place we go to as listeners in this hobby, if it's talk about why not, you can bet the party is at "Must Do-s" house. But this isn't even the strange part. The strange part is the energy " Mr. Won't Do" puts into his hobby of not doing. If someone doesn't want to do, why would they even bother coming to a forum about listening to music, and claiming to be the high end side of listening.

This for the doing audiophile raises questions that go beyond the hobby of listening to music, especially when "Mr. Won't Do" acts as if he has something to offer the hobby. "Blind trying to give birth to more blind" isn't exactly the definition of High End, unless you are talking money only.

maybe it's time we do some listening Smile

here's the definition of stuck audiophile directly from the Stereophile forum

"This area (i.e ‘body of evidence does suggest something is going on’) has, in my opinion, not been investigated enough or not taken seriously enough. There have been endless reports (descriptions of improvements, anecdotal evidence, reported observations etc) for over 30 years of ‘changes in the sound which do not fit with conventional electronic or audio theories’. I am not referring to numerous “johnny come latelys” reporting such changes but changes reported by seasoned and well respected listeners in the world of audio."

For the last two years I've been reading these cry outs of "something is going on" by the members who have no personal answers to give. To show how bad this is on Stereophile read this thread...

http://www.stereophile.com/content/audio-mystery-how-why

There are at least 40 dead end threads that have gone the same route, just this past year.

How many of you have done the green pen thing raise your hands. You remember. You take the green pen and do the edges of your CD's. This is what the Stereophile forum calls "advanced concepts". I know Shocked , and I'm not saying that it's necessarily a bad thing if one doesn't mind limiting their sound to that particular setting, but read this....

http://www.stereophile.com/content/free-green-pens

Stereophile has people running wild suggesting all these tweaks they haven't even done themselves, or worse don't even have systems to test them on. Here's the listening reference system of the guy pushing the green pens....

http://www.stereophile.com/content/you-want-dynamics

I know, it's like SNL, but true. The guy telling the Stereophile members to do all these random tweaks hasn't had a stereo system for over 9 years.

Last edited by Michael Green on Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Stereophile, the other side of the hobby   Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:15 pm

here's something that could change your hobby

Go to google images and type in audiophile speakers. Take a look, all speakers right? Now type in audiophile soundstage. Take a look, no soundstages.

How is it that a hobby all about soundstages doesn't know how to show or talk about soundstages?

Understanding what a soundstage is, is the hobby. The hobby isn't playing your components. The hobby is playing the soundstage. Everything we do other than the soundstage is a variation of the hobby. This is the place where "stuck" happens and where audiophiles have gone off making their own rules. There is no such thing as the audiophile boxed soundstage. This is something the high end audiophile made up because they were not able to go further or understand what the stage is.

or maybe easier to visualize

do an experiment with me

Snap your fingers in front of you, now snap behind you.

Notice you can hear behind you as well as front, sides, above and below. This is a soundstage.

The question is, why is the stereophile forum not able to talk about the soundstage? Go back to the thread on the stereophile forum http://www.stereophile.com/content/empirical-guy How is it posters claiming to be designers are unable to demo the very thing empirical listening results are about? Pushing fixed must have tweaks without any empirical testing. No ability in doing practical application leads to the lack of successful listening.

Read the link below to learn about what the audio signal is and how it works.

http://tuneland.techno-zone.net/t268-the-audio-code

Sites like TuneLand can help you get past the basics of the hobby. Starting your personal system thread here will allow us to work together on your listening journey.

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Stereophile, the other side of the hobby   Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:23 am

MG's being tough on Stereophile? Not really, I'm just concerned for their reputation is all, but mostly, I care about all the listeners caught in the forum spin.

See the header above? This is a good example of what we have been talking about. To the left is a portable cassette player used as the reference for the member doing the most posting on Stereophile. He says, this is better than other audiophile systems, and openly and agressively trolls anyone who disagrees. To the right we see the audiophile tape world for real. Where is it on Stereophile? No where.

but here's something to look at

http://www.bing.com/search?q=reel+to+reel+forums&pc=Z161&form=ZGAIDF&install_date=20111120&iesrc=IE-SearchBox

http://www.tapeheads.net/forumdisplay.php?f=4

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/forumdisplay.php?18-Reel-To-Reel

http://vintageelectronics.betamaxcollectors.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?4-Reel-To-Reel-Format

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/195138-reel-reel.html

While the Stereophile forum sets the bar on tape at a portable cassette player and cheap earbuds the real audiophile world looks on saying, what? Or worse, stopping to say anything at all about stereophile anymore.

OK so on Stereophile forum we see our portable guy, no problem, but let's compare what Stereophile has to say vs other forums.

http://www.tapeheads.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6

http://www.bing.com/search?q=reel+to+reel+forums&pc=Z161&form=ZGAIDF&install_date=20111120&iesrc=IE-SearchBox

Back to top Go down
rotelguy

PostSubject: Re: Stereophile, the other side of the hobby   Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:49 am

The forum at Stereophile is the Stereo Review of today. Boring as hell and doesn't know it. How can people be in a hobby so long and know nothing about it. I feel bad for new audiophiles who get caught up in that crap. Amp of the month club has turned out to be a scam. The reason noone is there is because most audiophiles have wised up and moved on. I agree with Mr. Green talk without the walk. When it comes to listening Stereophile is low end. Wonder if they read their own posts.
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Stereophile, the other side of the hobby   Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:58 pm

As listeners are concerned about the Stereophile Forum status and reputation I will post some of the emails & PM's sent to me. I won't be sharing names unless the listeners ask to.

starting with

"Could you give a link to that stereophile forum member (the troll) who uses a portable cassette player as a source -- I am curious what this person is spouting and how the sound of such a device can be remotely described as reference."

Back to top Go down
lefthanded

PostSubject: Re: Stereophile, the other side of the hobby   Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:39 pm

Stereophile needs this and other wakeup calls to get back on track Exclamation Great thread Mr. Green
Back to top Go down
sails

PostSubject: Re: Stereophile, the other side of the hobby   Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:24 pm

Looks like there's no peace on Stereophile. Doesn't that forum see all they need to do is start talking about their systems and music Question Reading it doesn't seem like an audio forum at all. The one guy can't even give away his tweaks. I need to find that thread again Laughing . Why would Stereophile allow trolls destroy their rep Question

Happy New Year TuneLand! MG how does the Audolici sound?
Back to top Go down
coolcity

PostSubject: Re: Stereophile, the other side of the hobby   Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:13 pm

Greetings from an old newbie with a first post. Having subscribed to the Stereophile since the oily 70's, it's been a sad revelation that their forum is so lacking, as Michael detailed for us. I'm afraid my time spent on that forum has been, mostly, wasted.

I'm looking forward to learning more about this 50 year old hobby, here, where questions and ideas are more freely discussed. Thanks for having me.

Happy New Year to all.
Back to top Go down
allboutdasound

PostSubject: Re: Stereophile, the other side of the hobby   Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:38 pm

Since others are jumping in. Michael, you are a class act and always have been. If Stereophile was half as smart as they pretend to be they would do feature articles on the tuning revolution. I've been tuning from my first set of corner tunes over 20 years ago following you on your journey. You give more to this hobby than anyone in high end audio ever has.

I have a question for those on Stereophile. Have any of these audiophiles met you? I bet not or they would know how it was to see you coming down the hall at shows with companies grabbing you to come in and give their systems your blessing like the Pope of audio. I WAS there and have never seen anything like it before or after.

I'm sure you don't remember me but I came to your room and asked you to put on some Genesis. You asked me if I was serious or playing. You had the others leave and put on selling england by the pound. This changed my hobby forever. If some of these idiots had an idea who they were talking to on Stereophile they would be taking advantage of getting to know you. I've been a member of their forum from the beginning and subscriber for 35 years. Over the last 2 years I have lost all respect for Stereophile. You're a gift to them and they have IMO misused and missed out on a great opportunity.
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Stereophile, the other side of the hobby   Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:29 pm

Thanks TuneLand for the responses and Welcome to the new members Exclamation

My hopes with this thread is to let the listeners out there know they are not alone, and they are certainly not abandoned Exclamation You are most welcome here and even though I will be looking at your systems through my eyes of variable tuning the end game is all about you and your hobby of listening to music and the systems that play it.

Come to the listener forums and start your own personal system thread if you would like. It's always fun to follow the journeys past, present and future of other enthusiast. Places like TuneLand are home to the now audiophile. With the lack of stores, and other audio hangouts it's good to have a place to come to and share, especially when you know we are just as excited about your tuning travels as we are our own.

Have fun and let me know if you would like me to take a look at your system.

Smile

Back to top Go down
steelreel

PostSubject: Re: Stereophile, the other side of the hobby   Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:40 pm

Count me in! I'm another Stereophile member wising up. Cool said it right. Stereophile is a waste of time.

Good for you Michael Green!
Back to top Go down
mostly classics

PostSubject: Re: Stereophile, the other side of the hobby   Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:32 pm

Stereophile has not had their thread act together for a long time. I'm glad you've taken the time to give us another choice Michael. I'm learning more here than 20 lifetimes on Stereophile.

thank you tune land

Classics
Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

PostSubject: Re: Stereophile, the other side of the hobby   Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:48 am

Hello Mostly Classics

Welcome to the Techno Zone!

From your pen name you must be into classical music -- which periods of music do you listen to and collect? CD or vinyl or both?

Sonic is perhaps an oddity -- I listen to ancient music, medieval polyphony, renaissance, baroque, early classical....then stop sometime after Beethoven...then listening to modern classical like Carter, Copland, Schoenberg, Varese (nothing in between). Plus pre-1970s jazz and ethnic musick. The musical period Sonic is researching and collecting is the French renaissance and baroque particularly the lesser known and Tier 2 composers who were very, very good! Yet you can tell why they were not Tier 1 aside from political problems.

Sonic has CDs, some SACDs and lots of LPs and 100+ 78 rpms and SPs. Right now I am mulling a migration of CD to hard disk storage and computer playback. Viewing it with excitement and dread.

Sonic
Back to top Go down
mostly classics

PostSubject: Re: Stereophile, the other side of the hobby   Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:17 am

sounds like a nice collection sonic

I listen to some modern recordings but more into anything pre mid seventies. Doesn't matter what style as long as the recording is done old school.
Back to top Go down
rodneyJ

PostSubject: Re: Stereophile, the other side of the hobby   Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:40 pm

nice site Michael

reading the archives and tweaking up a storm

Rod
Back to top Go down
tmsorosk

PostSubject: Re: Stereophile, the other side of the hobby   Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:15 am

mostly classics wrote:
Stereophile has not had their thread act together for a long time. I'm glad you've taken the time to give us another choice Michael. I'm learning more here than 20 lifetimes on Stereophile.

thank you tune land

Classics

Agreed. Mad
Back to top Go down
More Music Mike

PostSubject: Re: Stereophile, the other side of the hobby   Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:43 pm

Tuneland is a gold mine. I belong to a few audio forums (not a poster) and nothing compares. Michael has the highest of reputations as a golden ear. Not sure if many of you know but Green was one of Pearson's favorite system setup guys. Never heard Harry brag on another system tweaker like he did Green. Asking him before why he didn't review more of Green's techniques Harry would say, how do I start. One thing I can say about Mr. Green as someone who knew and knows the old guard is the reviewers were somewhat starstruck or jealous after listening to a Green setup. Another fact you may not know but many of the new day reviewers started out as MG clients before they ever wrote anything.

Admin, how do I put up an avatar?
Back to top Go down
tmsorosk

PostSubject: Re: Stereophile, the other side of the hobby   Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:01 am

More Music Mike wrote:
Tuneland is a gold mine. I belong to a few audio forums (not a poster) and nothing compares. Michael has the highest of reputations as a golden ear. Not sure if many of you know but Green was one of Pearson's favorite system setup guys. Never heard Harry brag on another system tweaker like he did Green. Asking him before why he didn't review more of Green's techniques Harry would say, how do I start. One thing I can say about Mr. Green as someone who knew and knows the old guard is the reviewers were somewhat starstruck or jealous after listening to a Green setup. Another fact you may not know but many of the new day reviewers started out as MG clients before they ever wrote anything.

Admin, how do I put up an avatar?

Welcome to Tuneland Mike.

Looking forward to reading more of your posts.

Tim
Back to top Go down
hi fi rider

PostSubject: Re: Stereophile, the other side of the hobby   Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:46 pm

Michael Green the Michael Green? Good to see you alive and well! I own a pair of 60's. By far the best audio investment I ever made.
Back to top Go down

Stereophile, the other side of the hobby
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next