Michael Green Audio Forum

http://tuneland.techno-zone.net

Our Website  HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Tuning and Musical Adventures

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Sonic.beaver

PostSubject: Re: Tuning and Musical Adventures   Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:10 am

Recommended reading

Zonees who like classical orchestral works should read this wonderful book.  

Two Japanese luminaries in conversation about music -- author Haruki Murakami and conductor Seiji Ozawa. That’s worth the price of the book!

They talk about life in orchestras, conductors like Leonard Bernstein, Karl Bohm and others, studying scores, interpreting the classical repertoire, performing Mahler and record collecting. Even the art of recording (from Page 177):

Ozawa:…..recording techniques have also changed. In the old days , the dominant tendency was to record the overall sound. Things like the orchestra’s overall resonance were important. They tried to capture the whole rather than the details. Most of the recordings made in the sixties and the seventies were rather like that.

Murakami:  With digitalization, those tendencies have changed. Mahler is not that interesting to listen to anymore unless you can hear each of the individual instruments.

Ozawa: You’re absolutely right about that. Digital recording made it possible to hear every detail clearly, and that may have caused performances themselves to change. In the old days, we used to pay attention to things like how many seconds the reverberation lasted, but now nobody talks about that anymore. Now, people aren’t satisfied unless they can hear the details.

But wait!

This book is not about audio. There are few references to recording and audio so don’t rush out to buy this thinking this is a book for audio fans.  It is a book about music and the orchestra.  

For Sonic, I learnt so much and finished the book in under a week, reading mostly as I listened to music. Now Sonic wants to go get a copy of Brahms’ First Symphony and give it a spin! Errk…a big 19th century German orchestral work….very unlike Sonic…..this one of the best books Sonic has read this year.  

Here is Murakami’s audio system. Lovely!

Sonic

Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

PostSubject: Re: Tuning and Musical Adventures   Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:41 am

Cable Ground Report

Sonic has extended my use of Michael’s Cable Grounds.

This is the situation: Sonic finds Cable Grounds essential under loudspeaker cables and music signal carrying cabling both analog and digital.  For these cables, no Cable Grounds means less good music. I have not tried competing products to lift cables so it is Cable Grounds or the floor.  

In every case, wires suspended on Cable Grounds without any part of their length touching the floor or carpet means more whole images, a more balanced sound and the removal of an audible “sourness” especially when cables rest on fabric.

There is a bit of a mystery here too.

In my system, till now the Cable Grounds did not work under the mains carrying wires. The use of Cable Grounds under mains cables usually caused an upward shift in tone. Their use under cables carrying low voltage DC (after a power supply wall wart) was however neutral.

Till now, when I suspend all my wires, Sonic does it with all the same “class of functionality” (in this case mains/power carrying cables) in one go. I have not done the Cable lifting by individual cable one at a time.

This time, Sonic spent time to test Cable Grounds under each mains cable one at a time.  This is what I found:

Four Cable Grounds lifting the long cable from the wall to the mains strip improved the sound in terms of smooth and bass weight. Magnificent weight when playing LPs of orchestral works. Remarkable!

Two Cable Grounds lifting the cable from the mains strip to the AUNE x1s power supply and then the cable carrying low voltage AC to the DAC worked nicely too, slightly warmer in the midbass. Not a large effect though beneficial.

However, placing three or four Cable Grounds under the cable from the wall to the Parasound A21 went badly.  

It made the midrange too prominent and caused an upward shift. At last Sonic has found which cable and Cable Ground combination was causing this unbalanced sound.

Michael, what are your views why the Cable Grounds are not working under this one cable?  

Sonic has tried Michael's recommended tunes of adjusting the tightness of the Cable Ground screws and angling the Brazilian Pine bar.  All produced no breakout, a similar upward shifted sound under the Parasound A21 mains cable. Sonic has to emphasise that the sound of the Parasound A21 is excellent.  Buying this amp was the turning point in my system and Tune journey.  It solved the problem of thinness and other nastiness which was eventually found to be due to an underpowered amp (the Rega Maia) unable to drive the current-hungry Magneplanar MG1.5QRs.

To Sonic the Parasound A21 is a champion amplifier!

Very happy with this result and sound  Very Happy

Sonic

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Tuning and Musical Adventures   Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:00 am

Hi Sonic

Send me pictures of the cable run to the Parasound.

study

I have had floors that are cable and wire friendly, and others that sounded horrible. I use a wide variety of wood blocks and grounds and slivers to give me the voicing I want. Sometimes this is a per recording situation and other times an overall flavor adjustment. My guess in your case is, based on your description, the cable being used wants a different flavor. One that shifts from the upper mids down to the lower tones.

I'll know more though as I look at the pics and your descriptions.

Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

PostSubject: Re: Tuning and Musical Adventures   Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:33 am

Hi Michael

That’s an insight from you – something that “shifts from the upper mids down to the lower tone”. Right now Sonic has got my sound in what I think is a good place, with a good deep bass that rumbles nicely so I am not inclined to touch things in the main system path for a while.

Sonic has been taking time to tune the 78 rpm playback part of the system these few days. I’ll post the pictures of the Parasound A21 cable run when I want to get into tuning that.

Sonic

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Tuning and Musical Adventures   Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:53 am

Groovy Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

PostSubject: Re: Tuning and Musical Adventures   Yesterday at 7:04 am

Fascinating Things and Music This Weekend

A picture of a mono system:

Hideo Matsushita, founder of Audio Technica:

Some music this weekend:

Sonic is again surprised how well these old records have survived decades of being played on turntables with styli of unknown condition. One thing I can be adequately certain is the cartridges (whatever they were) were not aligned in their arms to Baerwald geometry nor their styli cleaned before every play, plus the records themselves were not washed in modern chemicals with vacuum cleaning machines.

On these records (except the CSN where Sonic can tell that one owner liked Side 1 more than Side 2), the transients are clean, no noise after being vacuum machine cleaned, and the tracking is clear and undistorted all the way to the innermost grooves.

Sonic

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tuning and Musical Adventures   

Back to top Go down

Tuning and Musical Adventures
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4