Michael Green Audio Forum

http://tuneland.techno-zone.net

Our Website  HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Live music

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Drewster
Admin

PostSubject: Live music   Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:21 am

Hello Zonees,

Well, I happen to be in Manhattan for a few days, and have been able to go to jazz clubs and see some live jazz. I saw the Tierney Sutton Band on Sun nite, the last set of her engagement there. If you're not familiar with her music, she's a traditional jazz singer, and has a tremendous personal take that includes great emotion, spirituality and a playful sense of humor. The club inexplicably wasn't crowded, so I got to sit front and center about 20 feet from the stage, with no one blocking my view. Awesome! Her backup trio was so tight and seamless and creative in their own rignts, it was all you could ask for in a live performance of a small group like this. You know how sometimes a live performance doesn't live up to the quality of playing on an album? Well, this was the album come to life, and more! Cool

Then last nite I went to the famous Blue Note in Greenwich Village, another intimate space of historic jazz import. OK, the drink prices were high ($12 for a Johnnie Walker Black), but the club was still cozy and unassuming, and I got to see the Rutgers University Jazz Ensemble (both students and faculty).

Tonight, it will either be Steve Kuhn and Ron Carter at Birdland, or Madeleine Peyroux at the Blue Note....

jocolor jocolor

Back to top Go down

Live music
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1