Michael Green Audio Forum

http://tuneland.techno-zone.net

Our Website  HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Computer, the new source

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Computer, the new source   Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:24 am

Hello Zone,

So as much as I have listened to other sourses (CD's, LP's so on) I know that the end all is going to involve the computer. In light of this I've ordered my new Dell and will start tuning it the day it arrives Idea well shortly after.

The first thing I will be doing is placing the Dell into my Computer Clamp. Tuning up the drives will speed up the performance, clear up the sound, and make my screen's colors smile.

In-case your wondering Question Yes, the Computer Clamp is a MGA product.
Back to top Go down
tune trainee

PostSubject: Re: Computer, the new source   Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:32 pm

Hi Michael

I am interested in the results and methods of your PC tuning. Do you have anything new to post about it? I know you have been busy in other areas but this one really interests me!
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Computer, the new source   Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:26 pm

What size chassis do you use? Someday if I ever really do get caught up I will have to show you this cool world.

Drewster get me help so I can build some of these toys!

BTW your canopy should ship this week.

Back to top Go down
tune trainee

PostSubject: Re: Computer, the new source   Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:14 pm

Hi Michael
My computer case dimensions are 8x18.25x16.5 inches. That's 8" wide, 18.25" deep and 16.5" tall. That is with the case covers intact but the covers are a small gauge steel and do not change the dimensions much when removed. If you need any other info let me know. Also thanks for getting those canopies out to me.
Back to top Go down
MOSFET67

PostSubject: Computer Sound Systems.....   Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:21 pm

I have several systems in my home and car, each one designed SPECIFICALLY for the task at hand. For instance my home theater is driven by a large, and very powerful, 7 channel Yamaha with video inputs, digital inputs, and all sorts of processing power needed for optimizing the theater experience. My two main speakers are a set of MG Revolution 80is, the center and surround speakers are JBL.

My bedroom has nothing more than "boombox" SQ as I NEVER listen to music in my bedroom.

But perhaps my FAVORITE system in my home is my "computer system". There are two ways I listen to my computer, the first being a set of AblePlanet noise-cancelling headphones. Before these I have always used a set of Grado 225's and would NEVER have considered noise-cancelling phones as I believed anytime you introduce more processing (i.e. noise cancelling) in the signal chain, you get degradation. HOWEVER, one year ago I heard a pair at friends house and BOY DID MY OPINIONS CHANGE!!!! I had never tried NC phones and assumed they only worked with steady background noise (jet engine hum). WRONG. These phones seem to eliminate ALL ambient noise of any kind. My computer is in my living room with our TV and when I use these phones, THEY ACTUALLY CANCEL OUT TV SOUND when my wife watches TV. AMAZING. It is wild to turn the NC button on and off as it seems like ALL, and I mean ALL ambient noise disapears (you can't even hear yourself BREATHING!!!!) Also, the sound quality BLEW ME AWAY, so needless to say the Grado's are on the shelf for now.

And of course I also built a stereo set-up for my computer, the hub of which is a fantastic Sony integrated amp, the TA-AX380. This stereo amp is four ohm stable and produces 125 watts RMS at.08% distortion. Frankly, more powerful than the individual channels of my Yamaha which are 110 watts X 6. Though I have tried MANY computer speakers over the years I have NEVER, EVER heard a pair that sounded adequate (even those "premium" computer speakers by companies like Polk and Harmon Kardon). So despite space considerations, the Sony drives a pair of bookshelf speakers mounted on the wall (BY NECESSITY!) just above my two 24" LCD monitors. They are a gorgeous pair of JVC Axial drive (two woofers mounted back to back) base-reflex speakers. I love speakers that actually use REAL WOOD veneer and these JVCs look as good as they sound. Also, they can handle EVERYTHING my Sony amp can dish out. The low-end is handled by a spectacular KLH 10" ported subwoofer with a built in 200 watt amp. The Sony has a built in 5 band EQ but as it is driving only the bookshelfs, I can lower the 80Hz slider as a kind of "high-pass" x-over.

Anyway, this system is AMAZING. Although my home theater employees a Miller and Kriesel MX-105 (two 12" drivers) and can shake the house, I swear my KLH sub produces tighter and seemingly just as loud bass. When I want to REALLY listen to music at FULL VOLUME, it is now this system I turn to and not my home theater or car (the car, of course, has OBSCENE bass) but lacks midbass clarity as is almost ALWAYS the problem when trying to build an audiophile quality car system. For good honest kick-drum THUMP felt in your chest, you almost always have to set a higher X-over for the subs BUT then you have the problem of "localizing" your bass, usually BEHIND you, not in front where it belongs.

Anyway, I LOVE my computer sound system. Although there is great debate about compressed formats and whether upper-end clarity is lost (smearing), as well as inaudible harmonics that after bouncing off walls, BECOME AUDIBLE (and it is these subtle cues that give us the sense of musical "space"), but are filtered out in the compression process to save space (when MP3 was develpoped the thinking was why included sound that is inaudible?).

However, that being said I derive great enjoyment from my computer system. It works for me!!!

Nick
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Computer, the new source   Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:24 am

Hi Nick

I'm one who does not put much into the great debates of audio. Most of the people involved in them have only listened up to a particular standard of sound anyway. Glad to have you with us and enjoying your reads.

Back to top Go down

Computer, the new source
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1