Michael Green Audio Forum

http://tuneland.techno-zone.net

Our Website  HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Bill333's System

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20
AuthorMessage
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Bill333's System   Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:19 am

the American Monitor update

As the 2nd coat goes on the midrange drivers baffles, I'm growing more and more excited to get Bill's speakers home to him. I haven't dug any deeper into the 18xp pair, because honestly I don't want to find anything that might take us down a long road of reconditioning and time away from Bill's place. I can usually tell when a speaker cabinet has been well maintained and these American Monitor certainly have been loved for many years.

How can I be sure?

When I get a speaker in I look for signs of aging. One thing I do is a gentle test on the woofer coils and surrounds. These woofers operate perfectly. It's really amazing to see voice coils this linear, vintage or new. The accordion surrounds are also like brand new, and the cones have perfect tone to them. Based on this these woofers alone are national treasures.

Secondly

The American Monitor 18xp when produced employed thin foam covering the midrange and tweeters. The attachment of this foam covers the screws, frame and all. When I unpacked these the foam (even though mostly deteriorated) was still attach with the original glue and placement. Touching the foam, and it literally crumbled to reveal pristine drive units underneath. The only two drivers not covered were the Midrange units. Based on this, I'm not disturbing the original screw mounting, again a rarity.

After the slight reconditioning of the midrange baffles and a little corner touch up, these speakers are as true vintage as you can get. In vintage audiophile terms they are priceless. So priceless I tip toe around them being careful not to bump.

quite the score!!

Back to top Go down
http://tuneland.techno-zone.net
Bill333

PostSubject: Re: Bill333's System   Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:31 pm

Hi Michael,

I'm plenty excited to be getting them.  They are definitely something special, although it's the synergy with the Audolici A25M that really takes things to a whole new level.  I'm just hoping and praying that I'll be able to get that same sound at home.  I also hope that I won't be the only person who gets to hear what this system can do - do you think you could manufacture a speaker from newly available parts that can do what the 18xp's do?

If you could produce this sound and make it available to everyone, I honestly think the components would become audio classics, much like the Quad electrostatic has been.
Back to top Go down

Bill333's System
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 20 of 20Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20