Michael Green Audio Forum

http://tuneland.techno-zone.net

Our Website  HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

My place got robbed

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
eflatminor

PostSubject: My place got robbed   Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:40 am

Literally!  The burglars stole my old Marantz cd player and my MA700 monoblocks but thankfully left behind my MGD speakers.  So, what's the best tunable cd player these days and what are we liking in the way of amplification?  

Oh, and I'm running Chameleons.

Hi Michael!!!

- Kurt
Back to top Go down
Bill333

PostSubject: Re: My place got robbed   Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:47 pm

Hi Eflat,

I'm sorry to hear about your burglary. What Michael is using for a source these days is the Magnavox MDV2100 DVD player, available from you local WalMart for about $29. Remove the top, pull the cord out of its strain relief slot and let it break in on repeat for at least 24 hours.

The amplifier is a trickier proposition, partly because there is no 'go-to' amp in current production right now and partly because the Chameleons are a somewhat difficult load to drive. You might have to hunt down another pair of MA700s.

Anyone else?
Back to top Go down
eflatminor

PostSubject: Re: My place got robbed   Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:37 am

Very good. The Magnavox it is.

Thanks so much for your input. You know, I'm really enjoying an old tube amp I have, a tuned out Rouge 88. Without the faceplate and top, it's weight is reasonable and I've got all the plastic and rubber out of it. I had a nice thin sheet of copper cut for the top...I'm also going to try a 5mm sheet of ply. New tubes all around, still breaking in. I've got it in a Clamprack, thin shelf version. It doesn't do what the MA700s did but it's a really nice change for now.
Back to top Go down
eflatminor

PostSubject: Re: My place got robbed   Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:35 pm

I got the MDV2100 today. Not exactly feature rich is it?! Not even a track indicator. I got that strain relief hunk-of-hard-plastic off the A/C cord, which was a pain. It's breaking in now. In a day or two, I'll have a listen. Until then, plenty of records to play.
Back to top Go down
Robert Harrison

PostSubject: Re: My place got robbed   Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:50 am

I had a stereo amp go bad last spring, so based on advice from the archives, I went with mono amps from Outlaw Audio. Perhaps this is something you should look into.
Back to top Go down
eflatminor

PostSubject: Re: My place got robbed   Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:51 am

Robert Harrison wrote:
I had a stereo amp go bad last spring, so based on advice from the archives, I went with mono amps from Outlaw Audio. Perhaps this is something you should look into.

Thanks Robert. Did you get the model 2200s? Only 18 pounds, that's a good start. What did you do to tune it? I'd love to see a pic of the inside if anyone has one. $674 for two - that's quite a low price.

My tube amp sounds wonderful but has trouble with anything large or loud. Just not quite enough power in my large listening room. I might have to give the Outlaws a try.

Any other amps out there tunees are playing with?
Back to top Go down
Robert Harrison

PostSubject: Re: My place got robbed   Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:30 pm

Hey, eflat,

I think there are some pictures of the innards of the Outlaw amps on the original Tuneland site, a.k.a. The Archives. They are of the older model, but the newer ones (yes, model 2200) look the same.

I took the top cover off, cut the tie wraps and loosened the screws I could get to. I put 3 inverted furniture glides under each one, a temporary solution until I get some of Mr. Green's mechanical grounding devices. Others more intrepid than I have actually taken the big pancake transformer out of the units and put them on another shelf.
Back to top Go down
garp

PostSubject: Re: My place got robbed   Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:00 am

There are some MA700s for sale on Audigon this morning.

Also, did you see the pictures of Drewster at The Show posted at another review site.

Speaking of sightings, it's good to see Michael venture out as well. Did you see his responses at AA.
Back to top Go down
eflatminor

PostSubject: Re: My place got robbed   Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:59 pm

garp wrote:
There are some MA700s for sale on Audigon this morning.

Also, did you see the pictures of Drewster at The Show posted at another review site.

Speaking of sightings, it's good to see Michael venture out as well. Did you see his responses at AA.

Thanks for the head's up on the 700s. I haven't been on AA for a while but I checked it out this morning. If Michael starts posting, I just might return. It's an inevitable side effect of tuning your system...traditional audiophile discussions become boring compared to spinning a good album!

Lastly, I did not see pictures of Drewster at The Show and can't seem to locate the other review site you're referring to. Can you give a link?
Back to top Go down
garp

PostSubject: Re: My place got robbed   Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:47 pm

I have added the link for Drewster's picture which is on page 6 of Positive Feedback ISSUE 53, january/february 2011 in Dave and Carol's Ces coverage.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue53/ces6.htm

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: My place got robbed   Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:13 pm

Hi E

I'm back and ready to get back in the swing. Sorry to hear about the robbery. Good thing these guys were not that bright, but more importantly that you did not get hurt.

The Mag has been tons of fun for me to work with. It is so simply! Drewster has also been working with another Samsung. The Magnavox for me though has done everything I have asked of it so I'm pretty happy.

On the amp end of things I have not yet seen an amp out do the 700s for the Chameleons. At the same time I must mention the little Altman amp that I have had a chance to listen to in Bill333's tunable room and am interested to hear it in my system. Simply simple is the way I would describe the Altman. A note though: I use the Altman without it's wood block and with our tuning shelf. Our stuff allows the amp to be more powerful and dynamic for starters.

nice to see you back

Oh doesn't Drewster look like an audio tycoon? I will hear about that one!

sunny

Back to top Go down
http://tuneland.techno-zone.net

My place got robbed
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1