Michael Green Audio Forum

http://tuneland.techno-zone.net

Our Website  HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Drewster's Room

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Drewster's Room   Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:29 pm

Hi Sonic

I wonder if people know how much distortion they are adding to their systems when they use one of these products that are said to remove distortion?

This is a good example of the audiophile crowd introducing distortion into the system.

Back to top Go down
http://tuneland.techno-zone.net Online
Drewster
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Drewster's Room   Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:05 am

Hi Tunees,

Michael has been working with voiced redwood blocks recently, so I tried them in my system. Hoping to add some warmth and "fatness", and see what else they did.

First I tried out some untreated rough blocks, and they did add some desired warmth, especially used under the Marantz. I used them under the Sherwood, too. Then I tried the voiced, finished blocks under just the Sherwood, including under the transformer.

Boy, did they give some added resolution and space definition cheers . However, after a few days of breaking in, the system sounded like it had speeded up, so that the music was playing a touch "fast" and some body in the instruments and voice was lost. Michael and I troubleshooted over the phone, and determined that what the redwood was doing in combination with what the cones/pennies combo was doing under the screwed in top of the platform was too much of a good thing. The solution was to remove the screws from the top of the platform and let the top float on the cones/pennies.

That brought the system back down to earth, and there was no loss of resolution, but the harmonics that had been lost returned and instruments and voices sounded very real and complete. Bass went lower and was better defined also. Bass guitar and upright bass just sounded great.

I'll let it all settle some more and see what happens.

jocolor jocolor

Back to top Go down
Drewster
Admin

PostSubject: LTR block   Sun May 11, 2014 12:29 am

Hi Tunees,

Just got a batch of the low tone resonator blocks to play with.

I started out placing three under each speaker. After a couple of days of settling, a general "clean up" occurred across the board. Also, a bigger, more refined soundstage and articulation of each instrument and voice in that space.

More to come as the settling continues....

jocolor  jocolor

Last edited by Drewster on Tue May 20, 2014 1:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Drewster
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Drewster's Room   Sat May 17, 2014 2:11 am

After almost a week now, what I heard earlier has firmed up. There is greater clarity, and more warmth without any mushiness. The bass has deepened too, with increased clarity. Everything is a little more clear, and bigger, and image definition in space is more refined and complete. Especially bass guitars. Cymbals are really amazingly detailed and complete. The low end has really cleaned up significantly, and so pace and rhythm (toe-tappingness  Smile ) has improved. A little more of the room's inherent glare at certain midrange frequencies has been tamed too.

The SHOOMDOOM at the start of Come Together on Abbey Road is startlingly articulate and sounds complete (meaning full-range).

Looking forward to trying out my remaining 6 blocks....   Cool 

jocolor  jocolor

Back to top Go down
Drewster
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Drewster's Room   Mon May 19, 2014 4:10 am

Hi All,

Earlier today I replaced the older LTR blocks under the Sherwood with the ones I received recently. Also, I changed the placement from one each at the front corners and one at the center rear (see pics in above post) with one at the front center and one each at the rear corners. Also the unit now is resting only on the very corners of each of the blocks.

This change still needs time to settle, but two things were immediately apparent: the soundstage filled in, so there was no empty space in the soundstage, and the soundstage extended from the front wall to the rear wall behind me. I was hearing a lot of music originating from parallel to the listening position on either side of me.  Shocked  Laughing  This was especially cool on Because on Abbey Road.  cheers 

I'll follow up after some more settling....

jocolor  jocolor

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Drewster's Room   Mon May 19, 2014 11:38 pm

Hi Drewster

Sounds like the room has filled up with soundstage. I enjoy listening to a full front to back stage. There's so much more to feel and take in.

Smile 

Back to top Go down
Drewster
Admin

PostSubject: Update from Cuenca, Ecuador   Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:19 am

Hi Everybody,

Well, it's been a year since my last post. I've been living in Ecuador for over nine months without a music system. My father just arrived from the states for a visit with two lockers full of stuff I requested he bring that I can't get here, including a music system consisting of the MiniMod speakers and a Teac NP-H750 WiFi-capable amplifier/dac.  cheers  cheers

I got it set up very quickly and it's sounding awesome just with the speakers and amp sitting on my little table! I am amazed at how good the speakers sound having not even had a minute of break-in time. Shocked Cool Very wide and tall soundstage and just a natural musical effortless sound. And that's using my iPod directly via USB into the Teac, or with Airplay using iTunes on my computer over wi-fi.

Then I added in the tuning board from Michael and some new cones from Harold and that provided an even more relaxed and full sound. And of course neither the amp nor speakers have even begun to break in yet. I'll let the break-in continue for a while before I do any tuning of the amp. Though I may add some RoomTune Squares to the room in the meantime.

I had never heard the MiniMods before and really did not expect them to sound so good "out of the box." So I'm pretty psyched how good this simple system will sound once the amp and speakers get some break-in, the amp receives some basic tuning, and I get some stands built for the speakers and can position them properly. sunny

jocolor jocolor

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Drewster's Room   Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:19 am

Harold and I had to send out a search party but we got him back safe and sound. Back on TuneLand that is. Let me give this a try  study

Hola cómo estás

¿Dónde está el cuarto de baño

más agua por favor

¿Cuánto eso cuesta

¿Cómo llegar a la frontera

That's about all I got scratch

So excited everything got there A OK Exclamation  Those mini mods are something aren't they Smile

Wait till Drewster shows you guys the rest of the place, very cool.

Cool

Back to top Go down
Drewster
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Drewster's Room   Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:20 pm

Since I'll be touring the country for a couple of weeks, I decided to go ahead and do some basic tuning to the Teac as I will run it to break it in while I'm gone. So I cracked all the screws inside and out I could reach and removed all the cable ties I was able to reach also. There remains some cable sheaths that I'll remove at a later time. Here are some pics of the insides of the Teac.

jocolor jocolor

Back to top Go down
Drewster
Admin

PostSubject: Room   Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:20 pm

Hi all,

Here are some pics of my apartment in Cuenca, Ecuador (before installing the current system).

jocolor jocolor

Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

PostSubject: Re: Drewster's Room   Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:12 am

Hello Drewster cheers cheers cheers

Welcome back Exclamation

Once a Tunee...always a Tunee

Nice spacious apartment you got there.

Sonic
Back to top Go down
Drewster
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Drewster's Room   Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:06 pm

Thanks Sonic.

The MiniMods have been breaking in now for a couple weeks, and they just get better sounding and more musical. Very relaxed and effortless. They seem to be a good match with the Teac, which is also breaking in nicely. Very Happy

jocolor jocolor

Back to top Go down
Drewster
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Drewster's Room   Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:28 am

Hi all,

The MiniMods and Teac are getting nicely broken in now. And I've been enjoying the variety of internet radio available on the Teac.

Since the floors in my apartment here in Cuenca, Ecuador are thin, I can't really listen at normal or even moderately reduced volumes at night in consideration of my neighbors below. Don't know why I didn't think of this before, but I hooked up the little Topping 15W/ch class T amp/usb dac that I bought in the states originally to use with external speakers to my computer. What a difference I love you ! Using the Bose headphones (yes, Bose...) which I really like both for sound and comfort, listening to Beethoven's 9th/Haitink as well as testing using my normal test music, it's a revelation. I can now listen happily at night.

I'll let the amp/dac break in for a while before applying my basic tuning changes. So my home listening continues to progress forward cheers cheers

jocolor jocolor

Back to top Go down
Drewster
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Drewster's Room   Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:14 pm

Hi All,

The MiniMods are really sounding great now. Amazing actually. I hope to find someone to make the stands soon, though it may take some time before I receive them. Then I'll be able to get the big soundstage I want. In the meantime I put up some Squares in the room, which have really helped to clean up the sound and improve the dynamics.

jocolor  jocolor

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Drewster's Room   Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:18 am

Excellent Exclamation

You take the best pictures Exclamation Your place is sweet!

Glad to hear the tune results. Yeah I bet your looking forward to doing a stage. Remember that time we did SuperTramp and Jetro Tull live? That room was a bugger at times Laughing Some magic moments but that construction was screwy. I would have liked to have lived there so I could study it long term. I love a challenge.

Then again that was where you got the 3d wish you were here. One thing it had going for it was a great over flow sound. In by the sofa sounded nice. That place was a good example of a place responding as a whole and not just the listening area. It's sounds though like the new place may have a little more flex.

sure good to see you Very Happy

Mini Mods baby Exclamation

Back to top Go down
Drewster
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Drewster's Room   Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:27 am

Michael, I have to say I appreciate my new place's ability to respond predictably to tuning. I really don't miss the old place in Chicago and the frustration I had with it because of the wall and ceiling materials, loose floor and height. scratch

Here in Cuenca I just added 4 more Squares, which brought more improvement. I now have most of the major upper corners treated, so I'll let it settle for a while. Of course the tile floors still present an issue, but for a later date....

By the way, yes, that is an inside window to the bathroom in the first pic. Not everything here in Ecuador makes sense to this North American.  Rolling Eyes

jocolor jocolor

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Drewster's Room   Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:15 am

How attractively unusual that is. I like that, it gets rid of any closterfobic feel. Does it have an outside window as well?

sorry, off topic folks Laughing Drewster knows I'm nosey Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down
Drewster
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Drewster's Room   Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:25 am

No outside window. So everyone can hear, etc. you doing your business.... Embarassed  Razz

jocolor  jocolor

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Drewster's Room   Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:09 am

you'll have to turn the music up Laughing maybe 1812 overture

scratch

Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

PostSubject: Re: Drewster's Room   Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:15 pm

Hi Drewster

Sonic noticed that your music centre/amp is supported by three cones (two rear, one front) and the so is the platform (two cones rear, one front).

Sonic understands from one teaching that Michael delivered that 3 should go with 4.

So if my amp/CDP/processor is (for illustrative purposes) supported by 3 cones/springs/spikes, then the platform below it should be supported 4 cones/springs/spikes not 3.

You should therefore avoid 4 or 3 cones/springs/spikes going symmetrically all the way down.

Michael, did Sonic misunderstand you?

Want to give this idea a try Drewster by supporting your platform or music centre (but not both) with one more cone and MW square?

Might lead to even better musick.

Sonic
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Drewster's Room   Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:11 pm

Hi Sonic

I'm not sure but it looks like Drewster made that adjustment in this picture.

Sure is cool to see Drewster more these days, I miss that youngin Exclamation

Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

PostSubject: Re: Drewster's Room   Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:33 pm

And so Drewster did!
Back to top Go down
Drewster
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Drewster's Room   Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:45 pm

Hi Sonic.

That setup was temporary until I got the board on it's spikes.

Here's a pic.

jocolor jocolor

Back to top Go down
Drewster
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Drewster's Room   Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:12 am

Hi All,

Here's my updated setup with my new speaker stands Exclamation

What a difference cheers cheers A real soundstage finally  Shocked  Cool

I'll be playing with placement for a while, and I'll let you know how it goes.

jocolor jocolor

Back to top Go down
rrstesiak

PostSubject: Simplicity and Elegance   Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:08 pm

Drewster:

I absolutely love your setup.

Let us all hear your listening impressions when you get some listening with the new stands figured out -

Kind Regards,

Ron
Back to top Go down

Drewster's Room
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next