Michael Green Audio Forum

http://tuneland.techno-zone.net

Our Website  HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Electronics of the year 2011

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Electronics of the year 2011   Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:14 am

Hi TuneLand

Seems the years go by and I never quite get around to posting as much as I would like. This year was no exception. Most of the year I was up to my elbows in sand paper shaping sound for Tunees systems. It's probably funny for those visiting me as well as those I visit. Having conversations with me surrounding myself with drills, sandpaper, files, dremels, finish and other tools of the tune. "I hear materials". To some this may not make sense but to me it's a way of life. Everything is a component of the audio chain and from the fuse box to the ear it is shocking uncovering the music each step of the way. At times this year I had to play hurry up, but I prefer to play slow and steady so that I may take in each change as it is happening. I would have to say that in my world I may not be listening for the same things as others as I study a system. While people tend to listen for the end result I think I prefer listening to the potential development of the system.

High end audio is surround by myth makers and following these myths can lead listeners down a road of missing music and the absence of beautiful musical cues. I always think what is music without the whole of the sound. It's nothing more than pieces (stick figures) of the recording till we turn the noise into clarity, or the cloud into musical content. Typical high end to me is very shallow and nondescript. Over time I have been accused as being down on the hobby. This may be true until you experience the "whole" being played. Once this happens the hobby takes a change that is almost miraculous and the typical loses it's hold very quickly.

I do not judge electronic components on price or high end stature. I have often found that the latest greatest falls short and is only focused on a part of the picture and not the entire presentation. Technology many times looks at fixing something that shouldn't be broken in the first place or adding something to balance out something else that is not working correctly. Numbers and specs are only symbols to me and hold little weight till I have had an opportunity to experience their sound next to each other, and to be honest sometimes this does not come close to the music waiting for us with proper tuning.

This year my respect for the Magnavox MDV 2100 dvd player has grown to almost legendary status. This is the easiest to find DVD player on the market and comes in at a big bad $29.00. If you do not own 2 or 3 you should. This is the fullest range reproducing source I know of and over this year have seen it beat up what some would call the truest of signals.

The second component is the perfect match to the 2100 range wise and when put in the same setup produces unbelievable pace and musicality. This may come as a shock to some but the Pioneer SX 3400 rocks like no ones business. This year I have compared it to several units that I would have named references until I found this magic music maker and listened to it beat the tar out of them. Deep rich impact once this unit is stripped down is what to expect. The balance top to bottom when driving the Music Ply 60's or the Classic 60's is something to behold.

Last edited by Michael Green on Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:38 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Robert Harrison

PostSubject: Re: Electronics of the year 2011   Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:17 pm

Hey, Mr. Green,

Today's question is: would that Pioneer receiver drive my Magnapans until your speakers come my way?

Robert
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Electronics of the year 2011   Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:54 pm

Hi Robert

I believe it will. It is definitely a fantastic investment and who knows how many are out there. The new speakers (getting closer) are going to be designed on the 3400 and Mag 2100 so this is a safe bet.

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Electronics of the year 2011   Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:43 pm

Magnavox 2100 dvd player

Pioneer SX 3400

On an Argentina Pine Platform and Tuning boards with MGA AAB Cones

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Electronics of the year 2011   Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:57 am

As seen in the above post both units are easy to use with my Tuning boards and the sonic jump is a nice one.

They also respond very nicely to top tuning.

Here you can see the 3400 with the Canopy. Also the MGA mod power strip sitting on a spring board.

Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

PostSubject: Re: Electronics of the year 2011   Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:56 am

Hi Michael

Tell me more about the MGA mod power strip -- what have you done so it makes musick, how many outlets does it have?

What is a spring board?

Sonic
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Electronics of the year 2011   Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:14 pm

Hi Sonic

The MGA Mod Power Strip is a wide body power strip as opposed to the thinner ones. I made one here when I got back from Bill333's. I go direct since I only use 2 products but wanted to see if the wider body sounds better than the thin and it does. The weight distributes better and when tuning it the tone is lower with more bottom girth and open highs (not brittle at all). 8 plugins.

This is one of those tweaks that I did many years ago but lost track of over the years cause for my systems I only had one system that needed a few outlets. I probably should have kept recommending this though. (getting old)

Keep in mind that I sell the parts but will not sell the unit put together as it does not meet any codes and I will not be liable.

I strongly recommend that tunees start reducing the amount of products being used in their setups. Going from 5 plug ins down to 2 is huge!!!

I am steps away from building my new Music Ply 60s and am recommending the 2100/3400/60 setup as being the best combo to date. Or at least close to making this statement. These 3 work together like a hand and glove.

Spring Boards as seen in the photo are 2 mini tuning boards sandwiching 4 springs. The one you see is using resitone rods.

Let me also add that the wide body is very easy to top tune.

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Electronics of the year 2011   Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:37 pm

The 3400 offers a well thought out design for simplicity.

One of the drawbacks to many designs is the bottom chassis which usually has parts mounted directly to it. Transformers don't have a chance to dissipate their mechanical energy without effecting the main circuit board's transfer.

The 3400 does away with this by side mounting the transformer to a well balanced inner chassis. I say well balanced because of how the sound is so open, but you will see that we must pay attention to how we balance the weight of the unit. Even if the 3400 is off balance (weight wise) it usually sounds girthy on its own.

The 3400 also has a great sounding circuit board. The key word here is circuit board and not boards. The 3400 board is huge and the parts are well spread out.

This suspended board blows away the sound of screwed down boards and makes the unit extremely tunable.

Last edited by Michael Green on Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Robert Harrison

PostSubject: Re: Electronics of the year 2011   Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:09 am

Hey, Mr. Green,

Thanks for the explanation.

Robert
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Electronics of the year 2011   Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:08 pm

Herns Sean and I were talking about the 3400 today and the thought that how many hours of burn in these units must have and how that certainly contributes to the warmth.

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Electronics of the year 2011   Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:58 pm

Update

I've also being listening to some other vintage products (amplifiers) with great success. There is a nice round mature sound to many of these components that is not found in some of today's newer amps. I am finding more and more that simplicity and burn in are two of the biggest music producers we have.

The difference between a new part and one that is 30 or more years old is fairly dramatic. I'm not sure if a newer component can get this close to "round air". I'm not talking about tubes, I'm talking about aged fullness. It's a lack of parts sound, a lack of the feeling of something pushing something else. The notes have an ease to them without the sound of something going through a strainer. The harmonics are not squeezed into this narrow band but thick, rich and full of info and life.

Listening to these old amps is like learning high end all over again without the pain of squeaky not yet developed sound. It's like having the choice of listening through a windshield or listening without a windshield, just a straight on rush of air.

Which one of these components for me is the cats meow is still up in the air but I'm sure enjoying the ride. I might also add that it is a surprise that the old is beating up on the new this bad, but my ears are the judge and not my head like in many things I have learned about the tune.

Back to top Go down
beetlejuice

PostSubject: Re: Electronics of the year 2011   Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:49 am

Hey Mr Green

How long does it take a new piece of equipment to become something that you would consider vintage (sound wise) Question
Back to top Go down

Electronics of the year 2011
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1